Expert

Re: Connection keeps dropping even after modem swap.

Whatever you did seems to have cleaned up the US and given you 4 channels left. But at +51, there still is a splitter in line and probably a 4 way.

Modem needs to be on the first 2 way....

What did you change?

Are there unused wall outlets or cable boxes involved?

Newcomer

Change the channel on the router to a stronger signal
Highlighted
Expert

Has nothing to do with coaxial issues.

Woman LOL

Browser

When the drop comes into the house I removed every splitter. I only have a tap splitter and a 2 way behind my TV where the modem is.

Browser

I’m still getting T3 and T4 errors is the only problems. No other lines are hooked at this point but the modem and the TV. I checked every connection all the way to the ground block. I did notice that the block was ungrounded so I fixed that. I’m gonna give it a few hours and see if I get anymore drops. 

Proven Sharer

@201firefox  - The router's WiFi signals have nothing to do with the strength of signals being received (DS-downstream) or sent (US-upstream) by the cable modem.

Further, all of the channels in each WiFi band (either 2.4 or 5.8 GHz) are trasnsmitted at the same power level, unless the router supports beam-forming with multiple external antennas. 

Proven Sharer

@Jas03 wrote:

I’m still getting T3 and T4 errors is the only problems. No other lines are hooked at this point but the modem and the TV. I checked every connection all the way to the ground block. I did notice that the block was ungrounded so I fixed that. I’m gonna give it a few hours and see if I get anymore drops. 

If you still have signal dropouts (T3 and T4 errors) there is an intermittent problem upstream in the cable company's equipment.  It could be a loose connector or a broken section of cable flexing in the wind.  Only they can fix it, your modem is not at fault. 

Browser

Sad thing is they won’t do anything about it. I’ve been in my home 10 years and have had the same problems off and on the only other thing they have done is change the tap face. 

If there was a alternative provider I would take it. 

Expert

@Jas03 wrote:

When the drop comes into the house I removed every splitter. I only have a tap splitter and a 2 way behind my TV where the modem is.

Describe the "tap splitter"... What's on which port?  Normally, the modem should be on the out and the cable box on the tap... Really, it should be a plain 3.5 dB loss 2 way as directional couplers are an issue.

is there also a 2 way there in line? are there other splices in the line? Are connectors hex crimped or compression ones...

If there's a lot of junk inline, it might need a new clean run of rg6 with compression connectors.

Browser

When I did cable the modem was always on the tap leg that’s the way they installed it as well. And like I said I been in my home for 10 years techs have come here trying all variations of connections all ending the same after a few months.  

Theres a 6db  tap splitter line to the house goes in tap leg goes to the 2 way behind the Tv and modem. I have the out leg terminated.