Re: Connection Regularly Fluctuates Between Above My Speed Tier and < 1 Mbps

@MsRaye:

A quick update. I called this in again and the tech that came out Wednesday actually had an egress detector. He said that basically everywhere along my drop was showing very high readings, so he ran an entire new drop to my house, "replacing every possible component along that way that he could." After he did this, that 747 MHz channel was no longer getting bombarded with noise, and the problem cleared right up. All downstream and upstream channels were well within spec, and there was no more wildly fluctuating SNR. Everything worked beautifully... for a few days. 

Then, on Friday night, I got home at about 1 am and tried to stream Netflix, and it was extraordinarily bad again. I couldn't steam anything to save my life. My speeds were very poor (a high-jitter fluctuation between 1 - 5 Mbps) and I was dropping packets like crazy (see here). Every single one of my downstream channels had awful SNR levels (modem connection page screenshot here). Then I try to watch regular cable TV and literally every channel was pixelated and cutting in/out constantly, like this. I gave up for the night. 

Saturday, the problem continued for most of the day. I went outside to take a look at the new drop, and noticed that the tech had literally ran it right through multiple tree branches--it was actually in direct contact with 2 different branches. Even a slight breeze was waving the wire around A LOT. So I went ahead and trimmed up the branches so that they were no longer touching the wire, but that didn't seem to help. So I was completely without cable and internet.

Now today it randomly seems okay again -- SNR levels have returned to normal and stopped fluctuating and no more packet loss/bad cable tv quality. The only thing that has changed is that it finally stopped raining (there was a pretty steady rain with wind that began Friday and stopped late last night). So, the problem seems to be directly related to whether or not it's raining. 

There is a tech coming out again in about 2 hours, and I just know that they're going to say "well, it's working now" and try to leave without doing much when I know that the next time it rains or is windy that the problem will happen again. Is there anything in particular I should recommend the tech look for/I could say to them to make sure it gets resolved once and for all? I am so close--it was working for a few days! I just think something got loosened/knocked out of whack from the tree limbs that the line had been running through. 

Thanks again for everything. 

Established Sharer

The only thing that has changed is that it finally stopped raining (there was a pretty steady rain with wind that began Friday and stopped late last night). So, the problem seems to be directly related to whether or not it's raining. 

That could be it... at my old house, the 4-tap box near the pole was always holding water from rainstorms, and the TV would get messed up (I didn't have cable Internet back in those days).  I'd complain, the Newchannels truck would show up the next day, the guy would open the box and shake the water out, it would be fine until the next heavy rainstorm/thunderstorm.   When TWC took over, it was the same deal for a couple of years, then they moved to the fiber backbone and replaced my tap-off box.  The newer tap-off box didn't have problems with rainstorms.

So...

I'm knocking on wood as I say this but I think it's finally resolved. 

Modem Connection Page

Above is a screenshot of my modem downstream channels after 4 days of uptime. A grand total of only TWO codeword errors. And my SNR levels have stabalized. I have not detected ANY packet loss in 4 days and I haven't had my download speeds dip below 50 Mbps once--there was even some heavy persistent rain a few times, and still no problem. It's been glorious. 

The last tech that was at my house said he was going to make absolutely sure that maintenance got out here and investigated, and he kept his word. Wednesday of last week, they went all the way up and down my street for most of day, stopping to investigate and repair along the way. He even followed up with me personally to make sure there were no problems. 

I want to thank everyone who offered advice in this forum, especially @MsRaye. I know there's not a whole lot you could have done to actually fix the problem, but helping me know what sorts of things to look for was appreciated. Plus, it was very nice to have confirmation that there was indeed a serious problem with my connection. If it weren't for you, I think I would have gone insane after getting told time and time again by Spectrum employees that there is no problem. 

Next step now is to try to get some sort of compensation for the 2-ish months that my internet was basically useless. 

Thanks again, and take care!

Expert

print out the latest level pages for your records should this deteriorate again.  It's a shame that the outside plant is so bad, but nothing outside lasts 40 years, lol.

twc/ spectrum just doesn't realiuze what it does to the systems and don't do any PM to reduce downtime ind speed issues.