Expert

Re: Connection Drops and High latency from 7:30pm to 11:00pm

This seems to indicate an overloaded node, probably due to a lot of customers with issues requiring resent data.  Everything at and after it is high.

3   184 ms   111 ms   126 ms  tge0-0-0.snantx5101h.texas.rr.com [24.28.133.233]

Proven Sharer

When comparing your tracert results, I also see different routing at or beyond XOComm in the last (10:45) tracert and different hop delay patterns all along the path.  That implies different traffic loads at different times of the evening on those hops, which are all outside the TWC network. 

Participant

Yah you have suggested that before and at this point its the only thing that makes sense. its just realy hard trying to convince them of that cuz they do not see that when they check, and when im prolly the only one in my area reporting it like last time,  i do not know how their tracker works but if i havnt gotten a call from the tech who put it there saying that he recieved and email of something wrong, i got nothing to back me up when i have to keep calling them back and taking the risk of having to pay for all the techs comming out here if they keep finding nothing.  Its so frustrating to the point where i sometimes feel like i care more about this problem then they do, and just wanna give up.

Honestly i would of already switched providers if att didnt have a bandwidth cap and charges you when you go over it, and that google fiber would not be in my area till the end of next year.

Participant

Also to Karl would that affect the connections to the twc side to the point where its consistent to a predictable time frame, if it does that a good point, if not i do not see why that would cause the 3rd hop into the twc network to show high latency instead of it just being primarily when it hit outside the network. And to clarify when i say predictable at this point the high spike accurse  has shifted to 9:20pm to 11pm while 7:30 to 9:20pm its just spiking every few minutes. But that was only after the tech guys came out. But all they did was check the box in the back and change the settings in my router also placing a tracker on my connection.

Proven Sharer

@EAIV wrote:

Also to Karl would that affect the connections to the twc side to the point where its consistent to a predictable time frame, if it does that a good point, if not i do not see why that would cause the 3rd hop into the twc network to show high latency instead of it just being primarily when it hit outside the network. And to clarify when i say predictable at this point the high spike accurse  has shifted to 9:20pm to 11pm while 7:30 to 9:20pm its just spiking every few minutes. But that was only after the tech guys came out. But all they did was check the box in the back and change the settings in my router also placing a tracker on my connection.

First, I would NOT buy a "surge protector" for the coaxial cable unless it looks like an F barrel connector or a splitter and is in a solid metal housing.  If the housing is plastic , such as an AC outlet strip or a UPS, stay far away - those are the kind that cause ingress - signal leakage - that degrades signals to and from your modem. 

Next, you asked if the long ping delays beyond hop 6, outside TWC,  could cause long delays on hop 3 through 6.  No, it looks like those close-in hops have more data traffic than the hardware can handle.  I'm just pointing out that TWC isn't responsible for similar choke points owned by XO or Google that lie beyond the TWC system boundaries, but every delay adds to the total. 

I too have an Android "Google' phone, and beware!  It came with pre-installed apps that have settings options to automatically back up emails, photos, videos, contacts, and other bulky data to Google or other web locations.  I have my phone set to use only WiFi  for backups, so I have time-restricted them to 11PM to 7 AM.  Check your Android and iPhone apps carefully, you may find that undetected backups are causing some of those "data peaks every few minutes."  A few of the notorious big data users are weather apps, Facebook, YouTube, Amazon, Audible, and Google Office. 

Participant

When you were talking about a surge protecter i thoug u were talking about the strip you would use for like multiple plugs that turns off when there a power surge, what your talking about i have no idea what it is.

What your saying about he hop, is proving what MsRaye about the node being overloaded is highly possible, I now that connection outside twc network isnt their responsibility cuz the techs told me that the last time i had an issue like this.

While i do have a android phone, as i have stated before that these devices have been connected before i had any issues, when i change the password in the router to a different one then what they have it will disconnect them from it, if you would like i can do a screen shot them not connected tonight and post another tracert? I have the 100mb down and 10mb up package with twc so anything of that sort wouldnt realy affect my latency even with 2mb downloding a second. When i do like speed tests it uses the max dl speed i have which is 15mbs,  when doing this i can notice a rise in ping, but unless im downloading something big which isnt very often the most i ever use isnt that much, my dad uses the laptop to look at emails and videos on youtube for help when hes stumped on what to do to his car, my step mom doesnt pretty much even use the internet, she plays games on her phone but other then that she moslty watches tv.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

The AC outlet strip surge protector that you are thinking of sometimes also includes 6-pin phone line and/or coax cable F connectors so the seller can say "My box is all you need."  Unfortunately some of them don't have quad-shielded cable between the F connectors, and those are the ones that create signal leakage problems throughout a neighborhood. 

There's no need to run any more tracert without the phones connected to the WiFi.  You are more aware of the potential for data conflicts than most folks who post problems for the forum to resolve.   You should be seeing the full 100/10 that you are paying for, regardless of ping delay times. 

Participant

Thank you i realy appreciate the compliment , I also appreciate the help u guys have been giving me to understand and figure out the problem with possible solutions, also sorry if i seem so adamant about the issue. Ive just been realy frustrated by the whole situation and having to deal with the reps and techs and nothing good comes from it.  Im glad to say that tonight has been pretty decent little to no huge spikes, some moderate packet loss but pretty much manageable, so who knows the issue may resolve its self in time if it keeps going on like this

Proven Sharer

Almost everybody on this forum is a TWC customer/user, andquite a few have felt frustrated while trying to troubleshoot their own connection problems.  We can sometimes spot patterns in the error logs or other physical evidence of known curable problems, but not always.  We appreciate your help in running things like tracert reports that can point to specific hardware at fault.