Change Starting frequency - frequency start value

Hello I have a Netgear CM600 model modem and i want to change the starting frequency from the default start value of 663000000  to another number what is recommended by netgear or Spectrum for this setting the reason i ask is because there seems to be either noise or attenuation on the line.  an error occured stating critical for T3 line , spectrum restarted the modem like dumbells now the log is cleared so i can get the exact description of it.  however have read that the Start Freq may help in fixing issues like this.  i do not have a splittler or termination points on the coaxial cable its straight to the model from the outlet and i do not have cable tv. just internet access. 

4 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Change Starting frequency - frequency start value

@scripttron75wrote:

Hello I have a Netgear CM600 model modem and i want to change the starting frequency from the default start value of 663000000  to another number what is recommended by netgear or Spectrum for this setting the reason i ask is because there seems to be either noise or attenuation on the line.  an error occured stating critical for T3 line , spectrum restarted the modem like dumbells now the log is cleared so i can get the exact description of it.  however have read that the Start Freq may help in fixing issues like this.  i do not have a splittler or termination points on the coaxial cable its straight to the model from the outlet and i do not have cable tv. just internet access. 

STOP!!
If you do not have a strong working knowledge of the Spectrum cable network to which you subscribe, you absolutely should NOT make any changes whatsoever to the modem programming.  Channels are assigned by the CMTS to equalize data loading across all DS channels on the network.  Editing the starting frequency default value does not mean that you will get a complete new different set of DS channels.  That is why we tell subscribers they need to have Spectrum fix the cable signal issues before they blindly replace their modem. 

This is not about Blindly replacing a modem as most people have done IMO does nothing to fix any issue ( bandage applied)  it is easier for ISP to just blame it on the hardware pfft moveing on.  Also I have a very good understanding of networking 101  but circumstances that may be each ISP is different and allows different parameters.  I have already reached out to NG and got nothing. I want to hunt down the best possible connection configuration paramaters for the modem. 

Proven Sharer

@scripttron75wrote:

This is not about Blindly replacing a modem as most people have done IMO does nothing to fix any issue ( bandage applied)  it is easier for ISP to just blame it on the hardware pfft moveing on.  Also I have a very good understanding of networking 101  but circumstances that may be each ISP is different and allows different parameters.  I have already reached out to NG and got nothing. I want to hunt down the best possible connection configuration paramaters for the modem. 

If your motive and qualifications stated above are true, you should already know that all you need to do is perform a factory reset of the modem, after which it will receive a new channel list from the CMTS.  A parameter change is not needed; most modems leave that data field blank. 

Call Spectrum and get a Level 2 tech out to fix the line noise problems - adjusting the boot parameters won't fix noisy or leaky cable issues.

Expert

Do not reset the modem... Copy and paste the signal level and error log pages after it's been up for at least 4 hours...

Need to see real data.....

You have some sort of coaxial issue. but it may be a mile down the road.

Changing start channels only moves the problems which will only get worst until the coaxial issues are corrected.