Before Spectrum bought out TWC, I had the 200/20 package using my own modem (An approved TP-Link modem). I consistently got 250 down/22 up during any test at any time of day.
Now that I’ve “upgrade “ to Spectrum’s 400/20 package again using my own Netgear CM600 router, after several tech visits I’ve averaged 100-170 down / 22 up with near-perfect signal levels (posted below). My logs show an occasional T3 timeout about once every two weeks but are otherwise empty.
Spectrum phone support has suggested that I use their own in-house modem but I don’t see how that should make any difference whatsoever. I’ve asked phone support to look at my modem config files to no avail and I’m at a loss. I’m near Downtown LA any help/guidance would be appreciated.
|Acquire Downstream Channel||567000000 Hz||Locked|
|IP Provisioning Mode||Override MDD||IPv6 only|
<tabindex=-1>Downstream Bonded Channels
|Channel||Lock Status||Modulation||Channel ID||Frequency||Power||SNR||Correctables||Uncorrectables|
|1||Locked||QAM256||2||567000000 Hz||4.5 dBmV||41.0 dB||0||0|
|2||Locked||QAM256||3||573000000 Hz||4.9 dBmV||41.2 dB||0||0|
|3||Locked||QAM256||15||645000000 Hz||5.3 dBmV||41.1 dB||0||0|
|4||Locked||QAM256||10||615000000 Hz||5.4 dBmV||41.2 dB||0||0|
|5||Locked||QAM256||12||627000000 Hz||5.6 dBmV||41.2 dB||0||0|
|6||Locked||QAM256||7||597000000 Hz||5.4 dBmV||41.3 dB||0||0|
|7||Locked||QAM256||13||633000000 Hz||5.4 dBmV||41.0 dB||0||0|
|8||Locked||QAM256||14||639000000 Hz||5.3 dBmV||40.9 dB||0||0|
|9||Locked||QAM256||17||657000000 Hz||5.2 dBmV||40.8 dB||0||0|
|10||Locked||QAM256||18||663000000 Hz||5.2 dBmV||40.8 dB||0||0|
|11||Locked||QAM256||19||669000000 Hz||4.7 dBmV||40.5 dB||0||0|
|12||Locked||QAM256||20||675000000 Hz||4.7 dBmV||40.1 dB||0||0|
|13||Locked||QAM256||21||681000000 Hz||4.4 dBmV||40.2 dB||0||0|
|14||Locked||QAM256||22||687000000 Hz||4.3 dBmV||40.2 dB||0||0|
|15||Locked||QAM256||23||693000000 Hz||4.2 dBmV||40.2 dB||0||0|
|16||Locked||QAM256||24||699000000 Hz||4.0 dBmV||40.2 dB||0||0|
|17||Locked||QAM256||25||705000000 Hz||3.7 dBmV||40.9 dB||0||0|
|18||Locked||QAM256||26||723000000 Hz||2.4 dBmV||40.4 dB||0||0|
|19||Locked||QAM256||27||729000000 Hz||2.0 dBmV||40.3 dB||0||0|
|20||Locked||QAM256||28||735000000 Hz||1.3 dBmV||39.9 dB||0||0|
|21||Locked||QAM256||29||741000000 Hz||0.8 dBmV||39.5 dB||0||0|
|22||Locked||QAM256||30||747000000 Hz||0.3 dBmV||39.4 dB||0||0|
|23||Locked||QAM256||16||651000000 Hz||5.4 dBmV||42.3 dB||0||0|
|24||Locked||QAM256||32||759000000 Hz||0.1 dBmV||38.9 dB||0||0|
<tabindex=-1>Upstream Bonded Channels
|Channel||Lock Status||US Channel Type||Channel ID||Symbol Rate||Frequency||Power|
|1||Locked||ATDMA||81||5120 Ksym/sec||17800000 Hz||44.3 dBmV|
|2||Locked||ATDMA||82||5120 Ksym/sec||24200000 Hz||44.0 dBmV|
|3||Locked||ATDMA||83||5120 Ksym/sec||30600000 Hz||44.5 dBmV|
|4||Locked||ATDMA||84||5120 Ksym/sec||37000000 Hz||45.0 dBmV|
|5||Not Locked||Unknown||0||0 Ksym/sec||0 Hz||0.0 dBmV|
|6||Not Locked||Unknown||0||0 Ksym/sec||0 Hz||0.0 dBmV|
|7||Not Locked||Unknown||0||0 Ksym/sec||0 Hz||0.0 dBmV|
|8||Not Locked||Unknown||0||0 Ksym/sec||0 Hz||0.0 dBmV|
Solved! Go to Solution.
I would use the Spectrum modem temporarily just to troubleshoot. If nothing else, it will definitely tell you (and Spectrum) if the problem lies with your customer owned equipment or the something else. As long as you are using your own modem it will be blamed absent any other data.
YOU may happen to think those incoming DS signal levels are in-spec; in fact they point to a serious cable system maintenance problem. Notice how your modem reports all of the lower data channels (below 705 MHz) as receiving signals in the +4.5 to +5.6 dBmV range, but above 723 MHz the level starts dropping off from +2.4 down to only +0.1 dBmV?? That is definitely NG!! The difference in received signal level between the very weakest and very strongest should be no more than 3 dB. And you are correct that using a different modem (theirs) is NOT going to fix your data speed issue.
Here's why: I'd guess that Spectrum 'recently' added their DS channels 25 thru 32 in your area after clearing off a bunch of basic analog channels. Here in my area they uncovered and then had to sweep through the area and replace a bunch of older TWC-era line amplifiers and taps that were only built to run on channels up to 750 Mhz. BTW, the same thing would happen if you had some old 2-port or 4-port splitters that are only marked for 750 MHz.
But calling Spectrum to set up a home tech service visit probably will get your data moving reliably. Print a copy of the signal level report so the tech can see what everyone here on the forums has already noticed. Then s/he can get the line maintenance crew to reset the amplifier gain levels and update any ancient tap hardware. It usually takes them about a week to get the bucket truck crews booked. Please report back after the tech visit.
Thank you for your very insightful message! As you have pointed out, I tried using the Spectrum Modem today and have seen no difference whatsoever in my DS speeds (as expected). Your insight to the huge disparities in the signal strengths was something I was unaware of and is something I will speak with the technicians about. Will report after the visit.
I had the maintenance crew come out per your recommendation and they reduced the signal strength on the lower band signals. I am now comfortably getting 370-420 on my DS. Thank you for your solution.