Newcomer

Can't connect Roku to internet

Connected Roku via ethernet to Ubee modem (DVW32CB), I get - can't connect to local network, tried the secret screen #1, showed IP address all 0s, tried secret screen #2 disabled pings, still nothing, I have a PC and a laptop connected and both work without any issue.
anybody know how to fix this?
Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Sharer

Re: Can't connect Roku to internet

Had a Roku 2 that would have brain farts sometimes and just forget connection settings... would have to go in and reset the darn thing periodically with a paper clip... walk through the network set up menus, system update. Eventually opted to set it up statically since I had the address bound in DHCP anyway on my router.

Was so glad when WallyWorld put newer ones on Black Friday... updated 3 tv's for just $120 bucks.

Look for the physical reset pinhole if it is a "puck" model. The new streaming sticks have a an actual little reset button on them. Resetting it to all defaults like that may do the trick.
Participant

@Tonewrote:

Connected Roku via ethernet to Ubee modem (DVW32CB), I get - can't connect to local network, tried the secret screen #1, showed IP address all 0s, tried secret screen #2 disabled pings, still nothing, I have a PC and a laptop connected and both work without any issue.
Thanks.

It's probably not the Roku, but I suppose it could be.

First things first...have you tried restarting the DVW32CB?

A restart often "magically" fixes the strangest issues...

Let us know if you've tried anything else and/or if the restart fixes the issue.

Contributor

I would try connecting the Roku directly to your modem/router, using an Ethernet cable, if you are having connectivity issues with Wifi. I had an issue similar to yours

@Boz1wrote:

@Tonewrote:

Thanks.

It's probably not the Roku, but I suppose it could be.

First things first...have you tried restarting the DVW32CB?

A restart often "magically" fixes the strangest issues...

Let us know if you've tried anything else and/or if the restart fixes the issue.

I would try connecting the Roku directly to the modem/router, using an Ethernet cable. WiFi is not always reliable, especially when the devices are far apart from each other. I had a similar issue awhile ago with my Roku device; I called a Spectrum technician, who did just as I mentioned above, bypassing WiFi altogether. That resolved the issue immediately; I haven't had a bit of trouble with the Roku since then.

I also agree with the poster whom I quoted. Restarting the Roku and/or the modem  will resolve most connectivity issues. I recently had an issue with my Internet connection being extremely slow, causing "looking up..." and other error messages when trying to log into websites or check my e-mail. A reboot of the modem resolved the issue immediately. Sometimes these things freeze or "get stuck" for no obvious reason, but again, a reboot usually cures the problem.

Jeff

Fairport Harbor, Ohio 44077

Proven Sharer

We should mention that Jeff just discovered to his great surprise that his ELP subscription is not 100/100, but just 15Down/3Up.  ELP (Everyday Lowest Price) service is not robust enough for cord-cutters using a Roku to stream HD video, especially not for UHD content. 

Highlighted
Newcomer

I posted about this problem on another forum, told me to reboot, and it was simple as that, now the Roku works flawlessly, thanks for all the replies.