Highlighted
Rookie

Can't Connect to Playstation Network

Hi - I have spectrum gig service in Cincinnati, Ohio.  I have a technicolor modem and a 802.11ac Wave 2  router.  Generally speaking, I have no real complaints with my service.  Speeds have been much better than my prior provider.

However, since getting the equipment I have been unable to sign into Playstation Network.  I can connect to the internet and download games and updates, but I can't sign-in.  I don't get any real error message, it just wont connect and appears to time out.  I can connect via other devices just fine.  My xbox works perfectly,

I understand this is not entirely spectrum's fault, but was wondering if anyone has had this type of incompatibility before and if there is something I can manually enter in my network settings on my PS4 to try and sign on.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Can't Connect to Playstation Network

Good morning

A few questions. You indicated that you are able to login to Xbox and are having no other issues with connectivity.  Have you been able to login to the Play Station Website or Play Station App?  When you are trying to login do you get the screen where you input your username and password or it times out before you get that far?

I would also encourage you to bypass the router, connect direct to the modem (then powercycle the modem) and try to login hardwired to the modem. 

I would also encourage you to visit the PS4 forums.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4/bd-p/bEN_PS4GD

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Sharer

Tweaking MTU in the PS3/4's connection settings has helped resolve stability issues for me in the past. I could get in, but would frequently drop out at the worst times. Tried a lot of different settings, and eventually settled on 1472 (auto will often set it to 1500 or 1492, depending on the router config).

Oh... and set actual DNS numbers in the console's settings. Passing the queries off to the router can have weird side effects sometimes... especially with a PS. Can lift Spectrum's v4 server addresses from your router config, or try Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
Rookie

Julia R. -

Thanks for the suggestions.  And sorry for my delay in responding.

1) I have been able to login to the playstation website and the app on my iphone while on my spectrum wireless network.

2) I don't get the screen to input my username (but I am correctly setup with my password on the PS4), it simply times out.

3) I have NOT tried to hardwire straight to the modem.  I hardwired straight to the router once without success.  I plan on trying your suggestion as soon as I sign off.

4)  I will also visit the Playstation forums.  I have done a number of google searches, which took me to various posts on playstation forums and elsewhere.  None of the suggestions I found helped me, but I am going to study some of the other comments on this post.

My thinking is that this is some weird incompatibility between a standard router setting and playstation network as everything else with Spectrum has been great.  Will keep this updated to see if I come up with a solution and will post it.

bob

Rookie

@RAIST5150 -  Thanks.  I thought I did this once without success, but I am going to try this again right now.

bob

Lead Moderator

1) I have been able to login to the playstation website and the app on my iphone while on my spectrum wireless network.

This tells us that it is not an IP issue, if that were the case you would not have access at all. 

2) I don't get the screen to input my username (but I am correctly setup with my password on the PS4), it simply times out.

Do you know if the password has recently been changed? It is set to auto login correct? If  you do have this set up I would  go through the settings and remove that option. 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/my-account/access-and-details/automatic-sign...

Once that is done try to login manually. 

3) I have NOT tried to hardwire straight to the modem.  I hardwired straight to the router once without success.  I plan on trying your suggestion as soon as I sign off.

Please let us know the results!

Regards,
Julia R.

Rookie

Update to suggestions -

1) Hardwired to modem - timed out, could not even obtain an IP address.  Don't know that is a playstation issue as my xbox had the same problem a few weeks ago when I tried to hard wire direct to modem

2) Connect wirelessly and enter my MTU (1472) and DNS (209....) values manually.  Again, no success signing into playstation network.  I can connect to the internet and download updates to my playstation games, I just can't sign into the playstation network on my PS4.  This might be the pathway to success because, at one point, it asked me to change certain settings on my account (e.g., do you want your friends to be able to see what games you play), but then dumped me out.  Attempts to sign back in have timed out and been unsuccessful.

Other settings copied from Playstation Connection Status Screen-

IP address: 192.168.1.8

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 209.18.47.62

Secondary DNS: 209.18.47.61

NAT Type: Type 2

3) Make sure my password, email have not changed on my playstation account.  I am pretty sure this is not the problem, as I tried that when I made my original post.  But, never say never.  I signed out and got to the screen to re-enter my playstation network password and was still unsuccessful in signing into the network.

4) check playstation forums -- off to do that now.

Rookie

Weird, wild stuff.  This seems to be a playstation network profile problem:

Can-t-Sign-into-PSN

Even though it never asked to update my settings, when I signed into the playstation app on my phone and set everything to private (no one) and then signed out of playstation network on my phone app, I was able to easily sign into Playstation Network using a wireless connection on my PS4.

So this is fixed.  Wow.  Happily not a spectrum issue at all, as I thought at the beginning.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Lead Moderator

Glad to hear the problem is solved!  Great news. That was a strange one for sure.

Have a great rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.