Newcomer

Can not get any router to get connection from Modem

I've recently purchased a motorola MB7220 cable modem from wal-mart and ever since I have had it switched over to this modem, I can not get any wireless router to successfully receive a connection from the modem. I can plug in  my laptop or any other device straight to the modem and it will work fine but for some reason I can't get a wireless router to get a connection. I have multiple wireless routers, all that I have reset to factory settings and still not one of them will work. I called time warner and the guy said that he can't help me because it's my own equipment. I'm not really new to this but I am surely stuck and have no idea what to even do.

Right now I have to use my laptop as a virtual wifi adapter  to have wireless in my home and even then some devices can't connect successfully.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Proven Sharer

Re: Can not get any router to get connection from Modem

@yahdeeez wrote:

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

Eliminate one thing at a time.

1.  Connect the modem to the WAN port of the router.

2.  Connect your laptop to a LAN port on the router.

Can you connect to the internet?  Can you manage the router's settings?  Did your router hand out an IP address to your laptop?

If you can connect through the router with a wired connection, then the problem is in the router's wifi setup.

Newcomer

i've done that as well

It just get's no ip configuration or internet connection at all from the modem, none of the routers do

Expert

set router to autodetect wan settings. unpower both devices, power up modem, wait for it to go out of tst, then power up router.

The 7220 is an obsolete device and should not be used

Proven Sharer

Even before you do that, first connect your computer's LAN port directly to the WAN port on the modem using a CAT-5e cable, then restart the computer.  Report back here  exactly what IP address gets assigned to the computer.  If DHCP in the modem is working properly, your computer normally would be issued 192.168.1.1

Highlighted
Newcomer

Well I've got it working, for some reason the only way it would work was to use a netgear cd to set it up with one of the netgear routers I have. Thanks for all the tips and help
Expert

You can't take an old router and put it on a new modem without resetting it to factory default then telling it to autodetect wan settings, I'll guess that's what the cd did.

Most all the 8x4 modems on TWC's list are obsolete and will not work properly on twc systems with more than 16 DS channels as it exceeds their designed  acceptance bandwidth

Proven Sharer

As usual, it helps to read your quick-start guide twice before making hardware changes.  Then if something goes wrong, read it again and perform the steps exactly as listed.  Then come back to the internet connectivity forum if you still have issues.

Newcomer

I was told by the CSR when I changed my plan from an old TWC plan to a new Spectrum plan that I did not need a new modem; I read the model # to her and she said it was compatible. BUT I received one in the mail anyway. When I had trouble connecting the Digital Receiver, I called the help desk and was told that I DO need to install the new modem. The instructions say nothing about connecting it to my router currently installed with the old modem.

Do I need to do that?  If so, where is the Quick Start Guide that is referred to in your answer?  Thanks for your help.

Proven Sharer

If you purchased your previous modem and (separate) router rather than renting from TWC or Spectrum, you would receive printed documentation on paper or electronic files on a CD or DVD within the packaging.  You can also search the internet to find, view, and download files from the manufacturer's web site.   That's what the forum volunteers usually have to do to research solutions for problems posted here in the forums by users.

Spectrum's monthly charge for internet service includes an economy-grade modem.  That's supposed to be one of the benefits of Spectrum over TWC  If you have questions about anything the Spectrum sales representative told you, call them back and have them explain it to you again or ask them to send you the setup documentation for the modem.  

That said, my reply was in response to a totally different question related by a different user.  It's risky to assume that a solution you read here for one user will be so universal that you don't have to tell us anything about your own particular scenario or equipment.