Rookie

Botnet Traffic

Hi, I got this e-mail tonight and I am wondering if this is legitimate.  Thank you.:

Minibotl@sc.rr.com

Subject:  
An Important Message from Time Warner Cable Security Operations about Botnet Activity

Dear Time Warner Cable Customer,

Please be aware that Time Warner Cable has detected signs of botnet traffic being transmitted from a device connected to the cable modem on your Time Warner Cable Internet connection.

Have you noticed any suspicious email account activity, unusual error messages, or unfamiliar browsers? Your computer may be infected by a "bot," malicious software that secretly uses your computer to send spam, host phishing sites, and steal your personal information.

Time Warner Cable is using botnet detection technology and is notifying customers whose computers are found to be communicating servers controlled by criminals.

We recommend that you take steps to clean and secure both your computer(s)and your wireless device(s) to prevent your devices being used by malicious third parties without your knowledge. Please note that this computer may not be the infected device if you have other computers on your home network.

Please visit our self-help Web site  twcc.com/security/bothelp  once you have read this notice for a suggested course of action, or, should you have further questions, you may call us at 1-855-222-7342.

Thank you for assisting Time Warner Cable Security.

6 REPLIES 6
Established Sharer

Re: Botnet Traffic

Probably NOT real, but would have to see the raw source of the messsage to be sure

IF real, they SHOULD cut your access until you've cleaned and secured your system..

Trusted Helper

@CherDash wrote:

Hi, I got this e-mail tonight and I am wondering if this is legitimate.  Thank you.:

Minibotl@sc.rr.com

Subject:  
An Important Message from Time Warner Cable Security Operations about Botnet Activity

Dear Time Warner Cable Customer,

Please be aware that Time Warner Cable has detected signs of botnet traffic being transmitted from a device connected to the cable modem on your Time Warner Cable Internet connection.

Have you noticed any suspicious email account activity, unusual error messages, or unfamiliar browsers? Your computer may be infected by a "bot," malicious software that secretly uses your computer to send spam, host phishing sites, and steal your personal information.

Time Warner Cable is using botnet detection technology and is notifying customers whose computers are found to be communicating servers controlled by criminals.

We recommend that you take steps to clean and secure both your computer(s)and your wireless device(s) to prevent your devices being used by malicious third parties without your knowledge. Please note that this computer may not be the infected device if you have other computers on your home network.

Please visit our self-help Web site http://www.twcc.com/security/bothelp once you have read this notice for a suggested course of action, or, should you have further questions, you may call us at 1-855-222-7342.

Thank you for assisting Time Warner Cable Security.

I would say no.  This is not legit. The phone number looks to be a scam as well.

Mods or user please remove the live link and replace the http with hxxp to prevent accidental clickage.

Thanks!

Satch

Established Sharer

I'm going in the opposite direction of the other two responders and suggest that the e-mail is from TWC.  However, I would not recommend installing TWC Guardian, because McAfee products are terrible.  I also don't trust TWC's "botnet detection", not only because automated tools frequently throw false positives, but because TWC's networking skillset is so very weak.

So, what should someone do once they get a notification like this?  First, run your own anti-virus, malware and rootkit detection software.  I like the free Avast! for anti-virus, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for malware detection and removal.  For rootkit detection, I go with Kaspersky.  Sometimes, it's worth running a stand-alone bootable CD/DVD/USB tool like Windows Defender Offline, Kaspersky or Avira.  Note that when you have multiple devices using your Internet connection (as many do), any device could be infected, not just your main computer.

If you are infected, it might be wise to have your local computer/smartphone/tablet expert verify that your tools have cleaned up the infection, and they might be able to offer some tips to help "keep you clean".  But the FAQs associated with the botnet topic are laughable, and please do not pay McAfee for their miserable "professional" software and "expertise".

Rookie

OK, thank you all!!  I have Trend Micro Security and Malwarebytes.  I will run those and make sure that all is clear.

Jdm
Rookie

I got the same email from TWC in 6/13/16. I have webroot security but haven noticed any suspicious activity. After googling twc and botnet I did find that just recently about 320,000 twc customers may have had their password compromised. Anyone else see this.
Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

TWCC.com is an official TWC site. Here's the WhoIs information if you'd like further confirmation. The site takes you the site to give you tools to start on the pathway for a remedy to the situation. Additionally, if you call TWC, you'll be transferred to our Security team for further assistance. This sort of warning shouldn't be taken lightly or brushed off, but I commend you for wanting to make sure that it is legitimate.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Remember, if we have solved your issue, feel free to click "Accept as Solution!"