Highlighted
Newcomer

Boosting signal thru house?

I have our modem and router on upper floor, but my sons room is on lower floor, and he frequently has issues on PS4 of wifi cutting out in the middle of a game. We got a range extender, but that hasn't helped at all, even when plugged right into the PS4. 

We tried moving the router and modem down to the first floor, and our devices would connect to the router, but not to wifi. 

Any ideas to boost wifi to his room?

7 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Boosting signal thru house?

Is running ethernet from the router to the PS4 an option?

Newcomer

The router needs to stay where it is, but I was just reading about using a power line adapter, instead of the repeater. So that would be an ethernet connection straight to the PS4- maybe that would be stronger signal?

Spectrum Employee

Powerline networking adapters worked for me 10 years ago very well, and the tech has only improved since them.  If gaming, and running an ethernet wire (they make flat ones too) isn't an option, then those powerline networking adapters are you next best bet.  Saw one on Amazon.com today that's from a good brand that can do up to 1000Mbps symmetrical for $65.  Gaming on WiFi is honestly kind of foolish... (saying this as both a gamer and somebody who troubleshoots stuff like this regularly).  Just remember, the networking adapters (they come in pairs typically) need to plug directly into the wall outlet.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Helper

Totally agree. The powerline adapters work great when a dedicated ethernet run isn't an option. They will definitely work better than wifi extenders or boosters. 

Spectrum Employee

If powerline adapters are not your thing, try running an ethernet to have another wifi router act as a repeater in another zone of the house. Also check out mesh routers. I am interested in Orbi by Netgear. But my budget is keeping it just out of my reach.
Lead Moderator

It is my experience that the performance is better when the 2 adapters are plugged 

into the same circuit.  ( 5+ years ago when I last used one) 

Do you know if his room and the room the router is in are on the same breaker? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Browser

I had 2 powerline adapters through different circuits. Averaged about 150 mbps connection speed. No issues when it came to gaming. The only problem Ive heard of is that your signals can "stretch" outside your wiring. The ones I had were encrypted so not an issue.