Expert

Re: Bonded downstream channels

Ok, the large 3/4-7/8 line isn't tapped off, it probably hits another amp further down Chapman.

But, in the tapoff that feeds you, with the amp to the left and tapoff to the right, the first port is a terminator, the second rg11 the 3rd rg11 spliced to 1/2 hardline and the 4th is rg 6......

Where does that hardineone on the center cable going?

I don't like seeing all that rg11 in your neighborhood, it's highly unusual with houses close to the street, they don't use it here unless the drops are 150' +  smells of something engineered wrong

I also see the somewhat unusual #6 copper wire jumping around the amplifiers... Again looks like some sort of issue, they don't do that here either...

Karl Beckman might have a better idea, but i can see a shorted loop like that becoming an antenna and inducing crap right into the amplifier housing as it's a folded dipole...

Expert

Here's what a folded dipole antenna looks like: And since they've done this to all amps, there's a lot of them! Formula is actual frequency divided by 300 = wavelength in meters . if the ends of the loop are 19" apart, it will be resonant at 300 mHz and again at 900 mHz.

This is the case where a ground loop becomes an antenna. Also troubling is that the dissimilar metals between the copper wire, steel messenger and aluminum housing, generates electrolysis and corrosion which creates noise generating diodes... That can then cause hi powered transmitters nearby to "illuminate" the junctions and create even more noise much of which is not harmonicly related to the carrier.

Will start mixing things together....

Sharer

Ms Raye wrote: 

But, in the tapoff that feeds you, with the amp to the left and tapoff to the right, the first port is a terminator, the second rg11 the 3rd rg11 spliced to 1/2 hardline and the 4th is rg 6......

Where does that hardineone on the center cable going?

I think it's my drop, as well as I can follow it from the ground.

https://techshots.shutterfly.com/pictures/56

https://techshots.shutterfly.com/pictures/55

It looks like the other RG11 goes across the street and the RG6 goes next door, the closest house to that pole.  I think my whole house, even in the walls and underneath, was rewired with RG11, to eliminate any issues with signal strength.

Expert

Ok, got it, they wrapped the rg11 mesenger back arounr the cable for a strain relief.

Looks like there's an abandonned rg 6  up at that amp.

Sharer

Ms Raye wrote:  Ok, got it, they wrapped the rg11 mesenger back arounr the cable for a strain relief.

Looks like there's an abandonned rg 6  up at that amp.

Do you mean the coiled-up RG6 up and to the side of the amp?  I can't tell if that's connected to anything.

Expert

Might have been to your or the neighbor that now has rg11 run to it. It's not connected, not an issue other than clutter...

Next time you talk to Billy, ask him why there is a copper jumper around all the amps in the area...

Can you read the exact Arris model number on any of the amp photo's you took?

BTW, here's everything you need to know...:

http://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/other/cable_technology_pocket_guide.pdf

Highlighted
Sharer

The amp up on Chapman by the powered green box on the pole, has a tag and bar code.... looks like FMTED5J-KBBF6F1N but I can't be sure, blowing the pic up.  Those fives and sixes could be either five or six, both of them.

The amp by my house has weathered tags that aren't readable.

Expert

I can't decode it.. new sequence, not the original Motorola starline numbers that Arris used at first.

Expert

Are there any analog NTSC channels left on your system?

you'd have a channel 61 or 70 on an analog cable ready set.... 445.250 mHz and 499.25 mHz

Since I see absolutely no pole traps on any of the tapoffs, I believe it's qam only, in that case, they use a pilot qam channel rather than a pilot NTSC channel for the alc. This would make leak detection to find the ingress point  difficult with just a simple portabe radio....

the 2 possibillities are 609 mHz and 711 mHz  If there's any ingress or Egress at 711, it will be quickly found by AT&T as it's the 4G handset transmit band they own nationwide.

The 609 is TV ch 37 which is not on the air in the US as it's left blank for deep space noise measurements and in hospital low power telemetry (like the portable ekg transmitter packs.

http://www.ae5d.com/37/

a really strong ch 36 or 38 might upset the 609 alc detector.

Sharer

As far as I know it's all QAM.... no analog channels here at all.