Rookie

Best way to extend wifi throughout my long, narrow apartment?

Hello! I've been using the Arris router dg1670a for my internet, but it has to be on one far end of my long, narrow apartment (that's where the cables are) and we have trouble getting connectivity on the other end. Sometimes it'll show that we have bars, but you can't actually connect. Does anyone recommend a way (machine, cable, anything) to extend the wifi range through the apartment? 

Everyone's Tags (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Expert

Re: Best way to extend wifi throughout my long, narrow apartment?

Move the all in one to the center of the coverage area, Get it up and away from everything. Or get a wifi extender device that uses powerline (yucky) or get a wireless repeater (it will cut the speed in half unless it can cross bands between 2.4 and 5.8 gHz.) All your devices at the far end must be on the opposite band of what's at the router.

Bottom line is that Apartments and wireless don't work out, too much interference from others as well as unable top do a proper installation.

Helper

Re: Best way to extend wifi throughout my long, narrow apartment?

Place the unit as high as possible, think of your router as cell tower on a hill. experiment on the floor could work better, physics can be crazy, sometims.