Rookie

Arris tg1672g issues

I have 2 iPhones, an xbox, and a laptop that are contantly connected  to my wifi, yet my laptop is the only one that drops signal pretty constantly. Sometimes ill go over an hour or so, sometimes a day or so, other times I disconnect 3-4 times an hour. 

My drivers are all up to date,  the router is directly under me in the house, ive tried disconnecting 5ghz and running only 2.4ghz, resetting the router etc etc and can't figure out what else to do. Im leaning towards it being a laptop issue (its from 2012) versus a router issue since no other devices flake out, but dont want to go buy a new one if its not required. 

Does anyone have an possible solutions? I'm desperate here. 

7 REPLIES 7
Expert

Re: Arris tg1672g issues

lock it to ch 3 or 8, get it up and away from other items. If that doesn't work, use a wired connection, wireless is useless in dense housing.

Helper

Get the 1672 higher and away from file cabinets, and such even if its near the ceiling, since its below you

Sharer

Did you disable/forget the 5MHz connection?  I may retry it if you haven't.

Use a WiFi scanner app to find unused frequencies and set them manually on your router; I don't know why every router I've checked is terrible at using vacant channels.

What I use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Finally, don't "hide" your SSID; it doesn't make it secure (it makes it less so, actually) and it causes problems like this.

Spectrum Employee

5.0 GHz almost always out-performs the 2.4 GHz for PHY rates (actual data rates) even when a lower dB (fewer bars).  It's not wise to abandon 5.0 GHz for 2.4 GHz, that will only slow everything down (talking internet speed).

2.4 GHz is even more crowded than 5.0 GHz, and in this day and age is constantly beset with issues with adjacent interference from people who don't get it (ignorance) about that they should only be setting 2.4 GHz channels to 1, 6, or 11 on when in multi-dwelling units (appartments, condos, duplexes, TypeIII construction towns homes, etc).

The WiFi analyzer @RoloX2 recommended is one I've recommend before myself.  It's good for everything except that it can't show you channel widths for bonded channels appropriately.  (i.e.: when sombody has channels 1+5 bonded).

Also there's the factor of non-802.11 noise (i.e.: leaky microwave ovens and the modem is in the kitchen).

jhf5's advice is also golden.  Think of the WiFi as a lamp without a lampshade.  Do not set the modem on it's side (the antenna is on the top edge on the TG1672G), so stand it up.  Do not set the modem inside a closet, under a desk, inside a closed desk, or my all-time favorite: under a kitty litter box in the basement back corner by the washing machine.   Just because you can't see the broadcast signals (SHF), doesn't mean it doesn't function like other forms of light (pardon my double negative phrasing).

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Sharer

5GHz doesn't have the range or stability that 2.4 does in less-than-ideal environments.  Disabling it was for troubleshooting only--not just the radios but also the client in that it may bounce back and forth (I had a phone do that--5GHz didn't work in the garage and the phone wouldn't recover after that).

Reduce the complexity when diagnosing.

Expert

Turn off WPS and make sure the DHCP lease is set for a day  not an hour and that the network time server is on and set to the proper zip code.

Helper

Use the wifi analyzer app from google play swipe through windows to find the channels with users graphed in lobes, pick the cleanest spot,, most likely 1 3 6 10 and turn off automatic. Check every once in awhile, if there is a power outage in your neighborhood , everyone's modem are liable to shift channels ...haha.

You could put the modem on the ceiling or near it on lower level, secondly you might a   try a USB network stick they are dirt cheap and have great antennas built in .. Such as D Link DW150 Tiger Direct has them cheap.