Observer

Arris SB 8200 Modem

This modem is not on the approved list as of January 2017. That's 8 months ago. Tried a chat and was told to call the Store. I would like to have this device tested and advised if it is approved or not. According to Arris it is backwards compatable but was that the approval should come from Spectrum. How does someone get a device tested?

14 REPLIES 14
Helper

Re: Arris SB 8200 Modem

There are several posts here and on other boards from customers advising that they are generally able to have this modem activated with no  issues. Some customers in legacy Charter areas are having problems though.

Expert

Why bother? if you're on Spectrum the modem is free and it's their problem not yours if there's an issue....

Observer

Thanks for the reply. I have been unable to locate any other posts as you described. Might you be able to point me with some links? Thanks again.

Observer

I feel better using my modem and not paying a monthly charge. Thanks.
Helper

Try this link

SB8200

Proven Sharer

The Arris 8200 32 x 8 modem appears on both Brighthouse and TWC Spectrum's current  "APPROVED" lists.   Their online list is newer than the pdf sheet from January 2017.  Looks like you are good to go!

Observer

Spoke to Spectrum Tech Support a few hours ago. They insisted it was not approved. Can you point me to this list? Thanks.

Expert

Don't expect to see or complain if it doesn't get 32x8 channels as TWC/ Spectrum doesn't have more than 8 DS channels in smaller head ends and no more than 4 channels upstream in all cities.

To go to 8 US  channels, it needs the head end and all distribution amps changed out to push the upsteam from 17-45 mHz to 17-88 mHz.

That also requires several million cable boxes and DVR's changed out becausr they use 75 mHz as a downstream channel.

a lot of cities have 16x4 and many have 24x4, a few have 32x4

This may be why if you asked if they support 32x8 channel modems, the correct answer is no...

Helper

@kabli wrote:

Spoke to Spectrum Tech Support a few hours ago. They insisted it was not approved. Can you point me to this list? Thanks.

They can't tell you that you can use it because the company they work for hasn't put it on their official list as of yet. The link I gave you is only one example of real world customers that have had success activating the SB8200 in legacy TWC markets. Yes the modem is 32x8 and no you won't see 32x8. You'll get whatever your area is built out for (I get 24x4 and have a 32x8 modem myself. Other areas are 16x4, 8x4, 8x1, or 4x1).