Observer

Arris DG1670A beam direction

Hello, I have a Arris Touchstone DG 1670A. I have searched the Internet using product manuals and even walking about my house trying to determine which side of the router it's signal is broadcast from. I'm guessing either the front where the lights are or the side of the unit. Can someone provide me with answer?

Thanks, peh
6 REPLIES 6
Helper

Re: Arris DG1670A beam direction

In the product specs, thney say they use "beam forming" so that means there is more than one antenna, hmm I will dig around the FCC  website, see if I can find the tear down, approval pictures.  =P

Spectrum Employee

Approved Operating Frequencies for the DG1760A
App #Frequency Range
(in MHz)
Power Output
(in mW/m^2, I think...)
1.12412-24620.21
1.25745-58250.09
2.15180-52400.12
2.25745-58250.18

The so-called 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz channels are actually, in more detail, those ranges seen in that table.

A more detailed view of those numbers in lab conditions:

https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=2028538

And here is a view of the internal circuitry:
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=2028536

I can't be certain, but it looks your answer is that it's on the "top" edge that is away from the coax jack.

The shields over the microchips are because when the antennae are on, this thing is basically bathed in WiFi light frequencies.

My 2 cents:

Spoiler
I'm not impressed by the antennas in the pictures personally, but then again leads into a discuss on why I'd advise that if you want a lot more range coverage (i.e.: larger house, material in the home that absorb signals, etc.), then you should probably buy your own private (customer owned) wireless router.  The main reason to have a TWC rental gateway modem (an all-in-one combo device) for WiFi purposes is because the customer needs TWC's help with managing the WiFi (i.e.: the people who call themselves "computer illiterate" or "not tech savvy").  This gateway modem gets the job done in most cases just fine with no issues, but each scenerio and environment is unique.
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

there are 2 antenna's at 90 degree angles to supposedly give a 360 degree patern.

Coverage stinks, you're better off with your own router with visible external antennas.

Observer

First, I want to thank both of you for replies. I see what MsRaye supplied in her reply and I do see what you are talking about. I see that there are holes in the back of the unit for wall  mounting, so using that logic I figure as long as I'm in front of the unit I am good. This DG 1670A replaced an old Airport Express I was using and I needed to upgrade the modem for 200 mps service so I thought I would give it a try. Seems ok so far. I wish Arris had an app for it like airport express had airport app for the airport  express. I run an old iPad Air and an iPad Pro (12.9) with good results. I'm not really a fan of wi-fi but since I sold my old iMac a while back everything is wi-fi now. There are advantages of a firewall router, the user just has to figure out which way the thing is broadcasting.

peh

Helper

I have the 72, and it works nicely, if you have issues of connectivity in your house get the unit higher in the air
it radiates like a flashlight and think of the flashlight as
a spreading beam from the center, like a donut
Spectrum Employee

@peh wrote:

First, I want to thank both of you for replies. I see what MsRaye supplied in her reply and I do see what you are talking about. I see that there are holes in the back of the unit for wall  mounting, so using that logic I figure as long as I'm in front of the unit I am good. This DG 1670A replaced an old Airport Express I was using and I needed to upgrade the modem for 200 mps service so I thought I would give it a try. Seems ok so far. I wish Arris had an app for it like airport express had airport app for the airport  express. I run an old iPad Air and an iPad Pro (12.9) with good results. I'm not really a fan of wi-fi but since I sold my old iMac a while back everything is wi-fi now. There are advantages of a firewall router, the user just has to figure out which way the thing is broadcasting.

peh

If you still have your Airport Express, you can bridge your DG1670 essentially turning it into regular modem. Lots of people run this method as do I. 

I am a TWC employee and my postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s strategies or opinions.
I am posting of my own volition; not on the clock nor being paid to share this post