Highlighted
Spectator

Any router recommendations

I have been having frequent disconnects. I have had seven techs out here and all said it was fine. Not one could fine a solution. I believe it may be the spectrum routers. I have changed modem and routers already but still no luck.
Does anyone have any -$100 costing router recommendations. Something that will give me the same basic speed I am supposed to get and has a decent range. I don’t have any knowledge in this area.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Any router recommendations

You haven't told us which internet package you are subscribed to, nor what assorted equipment is connected to your LAN,  As a result we don't really have any idea which router would serve you the best.  Tell us your networking needs and performance expectations.

Highlighted
Spectator

The internet was added to our lease by our apartment managers so I don’t the specific internet package it is, but when it is working the speed is over 210download and around 9 up. Right now I have the spectrum modem and router they gave me. I dont know much about this stuff so I don’t the specific brand it is.
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Grab at least an AC line if you can. There are still some strong N class models out there, but the AC class ones <should> have better hardware and features built in and perform better in the long run.

Note that WiFi-6 is a new standard, and will not really benefit you unless you have new devices supporting WiFi-6. And some of the wifi6 routers have been shown to not be so great with the older standards when it comes to range and such. AC is the latest standard that older devices are more likely to support.

Been very happy with my Asus router. An older AC1750 model, and it has amazing range... even 6 years down the line.

Tried a TP-Link using the Archer C7 chipset. It was not very stable, especially on the wireless side... struggled to get anywhere near 100mbps throughput even when in the same room. Thankfully Office Depot took it back without a restocking fee.
Highlighted
Helper

Based on your previous thread it appears that devices work fine when direct connected to the modem, correct?

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Frequent-disconnects/td-p/167075/page/2 

What happens when devices are direct connected to the router (not wifi)? 

When you swap devices around from the modem and router are you rebooting everything...modem, then router, then device? 

If you get your own router you can't really go wrong with the Asus RT-AC66U as @RAIST5150 suggested. The TP-link Archer A7 is usually very reliable as well.  I wonder if you just got a bad one. 

Highlighted
Spectator

Wired connections directly from the router have the same problem. I have had two spectrum routers and both have the same issues. There must be something in the settings that I or they would have to change but every person I called could not change them. The techs all said they don’t allow us to access the full settings anymore. So I have come to realize I must just get a new router.
AND THANX FOR ALL THE RECOMMENDATIONS. I WILL LOOK INTO ALL THOSE ROUTERS AND SEE WHICH ONE FITS MY BUDGET AND MAY WORK BEST.