Highlighted
Valued Participant

Advice on how to proceed with activating my own modem

I decided to upgrade my Internet from the base 100 mbps to 400 mbps earlier this week. Before calling, I checked to see if the modem I bought last year would work on their network at the upgraded speed. And, yes, according to Spectrum.net, my Arris SBG7580-AC would work on their network as a 400 mbps device. I should mention that it's the modem I am currently using albeit at a reduced speed.  Unfortunately,  when I called Spectrum they told me that it would only work at 300 mbps. I was taken aback. I even refered them to the Spectrum webpage. The guy on the phone acknowledged the descrepency but still insisted I take a Spectrum modem. I relented. It arrived today and.....I hate it. I want to use my SBG7580-AC. I know that they're giving me a modem for free, but dogonnit. I want my own modem.

I was wondering if somebody could offer me some advice. I was thinking about contacting Spectrum again to perhaps get some further confirmation on whether or not my modem is useable at 400. I mean, I got the feeling they really didn't want me to use my own modem even if it was on the list.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Sharer

Re: Advice on how to proceed with activating my own modem

Puma chipset in that 7580 IIRC... not sure if they ever got things patched up for it to perform up to spec.

Should be able to basically just hook it up. In the past, the TWC system here remembered the last couple modems used on the account. If it was still in the system, you could activate it online or by opening a chat box with support (would go straight to a web page with directions and options for activation). Worst case, may have to call in to activate the old one, perhaps mention testing to confirm whether some issues you were having are related to the modem.

Not uncommon for them to eventually try a modem swap as a test on the more troublesome tickets. Done it a few times in the past between a 4x4 Motorola and an 8x4 Zoom, and then again between that same Zoom and my newer Netgear 16x4. Haven't had to do it since Spectrum took over though, so not sure if it still behaves the same.
Helper

Disconnect the supplied modem, then connect your 7580 (maybe also rebooting your computer).  Open a browser window. You should get Spectrum's online modem activation page. Once the 7580 is activated confirm it is reaching the speeds you expect. If not, you can reactivate the supplied modem.

I have an SB6190 that the tech did not want to activate on my 400 service when he was here even though it's listed as 400 compatible on the web site. Guess what...works like a champ, even with the Puma6 chipset.

Proven Sharer

Your commentary makes it sound like you have not had a good relationship with your cable TV and ISP suppliers in the past.  Remember that the company is not in business to give away free everything to satisfy a few hard-to-please customers.  If you ask in a non-confrontational manner, you'll find that Spectrum can and will activate their gateway without turning on the WiFi,  which will NOT cost you a monthly surcharge fee.

You are correct that Spectrum will have access to the WiFi and router settings and can reset them when required, just as they have access to network settings and reset control on all customer-owned modems connected to their cable.   

Spectrum's network of WiFi hotspots functions SIMILAR to a home "Guest" connection, but it is completely independent of any home subscriber equipment or connection.