Highlighted
Browser

Add-on wireless router question

I was informed by TWC that the Wifi feature of my Arris DG1670 modem has been disabled.  If I want it back it will cost an additional $4.95 a month.  I only use the Wifi to download books to my e-reader, so it gets very little use.  I have a D-Link model DIR-600L wireless router that I used to use with the modem that preceded the Arris.  I tried hooking it up to the Arris, but it doesn't connect to the internet.   I read something that said to set the Arris to bridge mode.  But, as I understand it, that would mean that all internet access would have to be through the D-Link.  I would like to keep a direct connection from my PC to the Arris because of the great bit rate I'm getting.  The Wifi could be as slow as molasses and I wouldn't care.  I've done some research but can't find anything that seems to fit.

Can anyone direct me to a simple step by step instruction on how to make the Arris allow internet access with the D-link and still keep the PC connection to the Arris?  I would ask TWC support, but I'm sure they would rather have me pay the $4.95 a month.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Add-on wireless router question

That would depend on the router you are using. Most routers have 4 ethernet ports on them to be used for any wired devices. You would connect your wireless router into our modem then have those 4 ports to use for wired connections. If your router does not have those ports and you do not want to pay for our wireless I would suggest purchasing a new router. 

Tyleen
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Expert

Do a factory reset on the old router, change it from nat to bridged mode and autodetect wan settings. Connect it's wan port to the 1670 via a cat 5 e cable.  It should just become a dumb access point and you'll get the wireless DHCP assignments from the 1670.

Also, you need to make sure you set it for an encryption type that the wireless device accepts and probably turn off WPS and use a login password for the wireless device that is set up after you enter a SSID into the router.

I take it you're paying for 20/2 or slower and no longer getting "free" wireless from TWC and that the 1670 is a leased one, not COAM.

Browser

Tyleen,

Thank you for responding.  My router does have 4 ethernet ports.  My concern is that if I use them I will not get the 60Mbps download speed that I am currently getting by a direct connection to the Arris.  I would really like to use the router just for wireless feed to my e-reader.

Don

Browser

MsRaye,

Thanks for the response.  I have searched the entire menu structure of my router and can find no option to select bridged mode.  Perhaps it is not a feature of that model.  The Arris does have a selection for this.  I get the feeling that the only way for me to use my router for Wifi is to run everything through it.

I am paying for premium service from TWC and the modem is leased.  I've had the Arris for over a year, and they are just now asking for more money.  When I swapped out the old modem, I was not told there was an extra charge to use the Wifi function of the Arris.

Don

Expert

turn off the DHCP server option in basic setup. I believe that's all that's needed to put it into bridged mode. Then set the wireles ssid and security

You may need to set the wan side for the 192.168.0.1 gateway, 255.255.255.0 subnet and the DNS to 209.18.47.61&62

Browser

MsRaye

If I turn off DHCP, I get a choice of : Static IP, PPPOE, PPTP, or L2TP. 

If I select Static IP, I get:

IP address = 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway = 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS Server = 0.0.0.0

I have no idea what to set these to.

Thanks again for coming back.

Don

Expert

What speed are you paying for? 30/5 and 50/5 are supposed to include free wireless in house....

Unless they killed the "free"

Expert

Ok, that's the wan side... leave DHCP on.. Turn DHCP off on the LAN side

Browser

MsRaye,

The only selection I can find for DHCP is on the manual network setup page.  I appreciate you trying to coach me, but I'm afraid I don't have the necessary knowledge to do the required tweeks.  I found instructions on how to set the Arris to bridge mode, so I guess I'll try that.  Maybe it won't affect my PC download speeds that much.

Thanks again for your help.

Don