Observer

Re: Access denied while trying to reach Costco, Shop, Macys, Ralphs, USPS

I'm still having the same issue also.  Access denied at usps.com and and costco.com but I am now able to get to ups.com.

Browser

Wow, same here! We still cannot get to the other ones I've listed, but we can now can get to ups.com.

Observer

Still not able to open usps.com and others.  Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Browser

We are still seeing the exact same @gaylordw and are wondering the same thing.....what can be done to fix this?

Seasoned Contributor

@lephysteria wrote:

When using Spectrum wifi to access internet sites (specifically Costco, Macys, Shop, Ralphs, USPS), we are getting an Access Denied error message. The reference number always changes slightly, but we never can get to these websites.

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.costco.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.ca384317.1526329106.6aa0ab4

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.usps.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.95ce33b8.1526329120.6c243dbd

I'm a little late to the party here, sorry.

I only checked the two you gave the error for, Costco and USPS, and they are both hosted by Akamai.  That message is exactly what you get when Akamai blocks access.  Here's a link to their help page on the subject.

Just for completeness, another CDN, Fastly, produces an almost identical error.

Cheers.

Observer

Don't know what changed but everything is cleared now and I am able to connect to all the sites that were blocked before.  Another mystery that will probably never be solved.

Browser

@gaylordw wrote:

Don't know what changed but everything is cleared now and I am able to connect to all the sites that were blocked before.  Another mystery that will probably never be solved.

Glad for you @gaylordw. However, to the admins who may be monitoring this thread....we are still unable to connect those previously mentioned URL's.

Proven Sharer

OK, here's one more measurement point on the timeline:  I just [once again] checked all five of the sites listed in the message subject line, using my Spectrum IP address and [once again] they all work fine from here in the Great Lakes area.  That rules out a generic denial problem toward Spectrum users and points back to either Akamai blocking the user's specific IP or some other reason identified in the referenced link.  Again, the denial is NOT being caused by Spectrum, nor by you selecting Spectrum as your internet service provider. 

The Akamai page says that bad acts will follow a user, but doesn't say how they can accurately identify folks who are using shared WiFi access.  If you are registered as a customer for any of the subject e-stores, you may want to confront them about their terms and conditions for denial of service by Akamai.  Vote with your feet and your wallet!

Browser

Okay.....everything is again working for us. All of the aforementioned unaccessible websites are now once again accessible to us. Here is what did it for us. We left for vacation last week and had the ability to turn off the modem (as well as our router) for the time we were gone. When we returned, we turned on everything and were issued a new IP address. As mentioned, all websites are now again accessible.

Browser

Well great......that worked all of 3.5 days. We are once again unable to access the aforementioned websites including the following: usps.com, godaddy.com, picknsave.com, southwest.com, costco.com, etc.  This is aggrevating to say the least.