Helper

Re: ARRIS DG1670 wired connections not working

@MsRaye wrote:

read my 1st solution:

wireless off is seperate from NAT/ Bridged selection.Spectrum turned both off, they shoulda only turned off the wireless.. not the NAT which made this into a single port non routed device.

Would this not leave the OP without wireless capability at all? My impression is that he wants to save the $5 wifi fee and use his own router for wifi for cell phones, ipads, etc. and still have the ability to hard wire certain devices.

Expert

The box he bought from Google provides all the wireless access and it also appears it does NAT routing by default. I will guess it could be set to bridged mode to force all the NAT routing back to the 1670 which is where the ethernet routing should be anyway short of purchasing yet another router.

While no one likes using all in ones, I'd try not adding anything else and see if this setup works.As long as there's no network printers or storage or camera's that need "game ports", it should be ok.

BTW, Google seems to have several routers and without an exact model # and number of "slaves" it's hard to determine what he purchased.  That device seems to be a single WAN only rj45 connector. The review on it is totally stupid saying how great it is without explaining what you get or how it's installed or configured..

ps. I also dislike the entire Gmail/ google account/ store and am fed up with my experiences with them and their AP store and permissions to ??? who knows where...

Helper

@BigMike28 can you confirm this, but based on the model # you entered in one of your posts, NLS-1304-25 1, you have the Google Wifi AC1200 with only one base and you wish to have wireless and hard wired devices connected, correct?

I'm not a fan of Google either but people that use these seem to be happy with them, not unlike those of us that use Apple Airport and Express units to create a "mesh" network. 

Highlighted
Newcomer

Yes that is correct.

I was thinking all the wired ports on the back of the modem would still work. I ultimately have 4 devices I need to have hard wired and have wireless as well.

I really appreciate the help and concern

Thanks.
Newcomer

Let me know the best, most cost effective solution. I'm not partial to any certain brand.
Expert

cheapest solution is to go into the 1670,

turn on NAT

turn on DHCP

set DHCP start to 192.168.2.100  

set gateway to 192.168.2.1

If none of the above takes orIf it keeps defaulting back to bridged mode or 192.168.0.1 you'll need to call TWC/spectrum back to restore the nat and dhcp routing assignments, You want routing active but NO wireless Wifi on the 1670...

Verify with a wif9i device that the 1670 isn't transmitting a SSID and that the radios are off

Once all the 1670 routing/programming is corrected, reset the google stuff and set it to autodetect wan settings.put in your custom SSID, etc...

Contributor

Don't know about Arris 1670 but Spectrum put my Ubee DDW36C-1 in bridge mode as soon as it provisioned, agent knew that I opted out of wifi and advised me as much. The GUI menu is reduced to bare minimum. No access to NAT, DHCP nor IPV6, nothing as far as router functionality goes. I'm using my own router so I don't need to mess with it in anyway.

Proven Sharer

Normally when the rented gateway is put into bridged mode, the customer's router WAN connection has to be plugged into LAN port 1 of the gateway.  There's no guarantee that ports 2 through 4 of the LAN switch will remain active.

Expert

@karlbeckman wrote:

Normally when the rented gateway is put into bridged mode, the customer's router WAN connection has to be plugged into LAN port 1 of the gateway.  There's no guarantee that ports 2 through 4 of the LAN switch will remain active.

some do remain active, the 4 ports look like an ethernet switch and will supply a different public IP provided the lan side devices are of different manufacturers ( the first 6 digits of the mac addy). But they won't if the cable co's catch on and only issue one public IP per modem (remember that bridged mode can allow up to 255 public ipv4 IP addy's), lol.