Observer

70+% packet loss @ tge9-5.clmkohpe07r.midwest.rr.com

Other route nodes in my trace to the IP are at 20-25% packet loss. Im using 209.18.47.62 as a destination.

We have been having issues and calling support for 5 weeks. Different managers involed, escalation to maintenance team, bucket team, plant supervisor, but the problem persists. My sub-divsion, at minimum, has all but given up hope that spectrum is able to fix the issue.

I would upload a screen grab from pingplotter, but the connection is so bad the upload is failing. "Uploading Screenshot - 11_8_2019 , 4_50_41 PM.png resulted in the following error: TypeError: response.data is null"

11 REPLIES 11
Observer

Re: 70+% packet loss @ tge9-5.clmkohpe07r.midwest.rr.com

Screenshot - 11_8_2019 , 4_50_41 PM.png

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

This situation can easily be caused by using the 'wrong' (or improperly configured) diagnostic tool and jumping to conclusions when viewing the results.  Your stated target IP address happens to be a multi-hosted dual-mode DNS (Domain Name Server) which belongs to Spectrum.  There's no reason for a single user's computing device to continuously interrogate that device.  When you bombard the server with hundreds of queries in a short period of time, it looks suspiciously like a DDOS attack.  The DNS should be ignoring the DNS queries if they occur more often than 1 every 5 to 10 seconds. 

When you said that "We have been having issues and calling support for 5 weeks. Different managers involved, escalation to maintenance team, bucket team, plant supervisor, but the problem persists. My sub-divsion, at minimum, has all but given up hope that spectrum is able to fix the issue."  Are you attempting to represent a group of Spectrum home internet service customers in a real estate subdivision, such as an HOA?  Or possibly a sub-division within a business corporation? 

It sounds like you are working with the right groups inside Spectrum to get technical resolution.  If you include your ZIP code, so we know where you are located, the moderators can try to reinforce the connection between network technical support teams.

Lead Moderator

I do see that there is an issue as well.

I have escalated this for further research. I have asked that the call the number on the account.

If this is not a good contact please PM us at Forums_Help 

Hope you are having a good day!

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

Observer

Thanks Julia I got a message from a Lead following up and stating that field work had been comepleted, but without any details.    My service has been running properly so-far this week,  so I am hopeful.

Observer

The problem is back today, seeing 14-18% packet loss at the moment.Screenshot - 11_15_2019 , 10_51_49 AM.png

Sharer

For heaven's sake....
...please stop hammering the DNS server clusters.

Anti DDoS measures may well be causing packets to get discarded. DNS servers are not meant to be pinged regularly like that. A few hits for testing that you can indeed reach them, sure.... but pinging them continuously for latency/loss testing is not wise.

Our own routers may even start discarding packets if you enable the protection in the firewall. One common approach is to start dropping queries once they reach around 10 per second... and that is just a simple approach implemented on a residential router. Flood it with pings while DDoS filters are on, and you will register packet loss. Have verified it myself with remotely pinging my own router... consistently, all four pulls registered losses at the 10th ping attempt within a second--even though the host addresses were whitelisted in the firewall.

Please, choose addresses more likely to be configured for high ping traffic.

Try the test at testmy.net:
https://testmy.net/latency

Each test graph will provide the site it tested against. If one of them has bad results, you can start tracing/pinging that site without running into the type of protections that may be in place for a DNS server, as the routers have been set up specifically for latency testing to those addresses.
Observer

Thank you for providing another tool to use in place of pingplotter, I will use the testmy.net latency tool and their destinations instead.   FWIW, I discovered pingplotter and the DNS destination on this forum. 

Observer

Huge dips in performance tonight, service makes Internet unusably slow.

Latency 

When the problem is at it's worst, testmy.net is not usbale  (see screenshot)

Screenshot - 11_16_2019 , 7_27_02 PM.pngScreenshot - 11_16_2019 , 7_26_03 PM.pngScreenshot - 11_16_2019 , 7_15_47 PM.png

Took me 10 minutes to get signed into this forum:

7:10p loaded this web forum webpage
clicked sign in button
timed out to blank screen, refresh
7:13p got sign in screen
provided credentials, clicked sign in
7:15 failed
7:16 failed
7:17 failed
7:20 after a few more retries, finally signed in

7:35 after several tries, screenshots finally upload

Sharer

holy crap!  man...  I usually expect to see high deviations to Southern Cali,  Dallas and Colorado Springs from my market because of recurring issues with a peer we often get handed off to in Atlanta.   But... WOW.

Might want to grab some traces to those four.  Would not be surprised if you see the same companies in their peering. It is possible the one to Toronto is hitting a similar peer as well... they tend to be linked a lot when I am looking at mine here in South Carolina.  Don't want to name and shame any of their partners unjustly, but would not be surprised if you start seeing a name ending with the number "3".

Also a bit curious about what may be going on with your signal levels while all this is going on as well.... like if the signal strength or SNR levels are going AWOL during this time frame.  Mayalso  want to grab snapshots for comparison just to make sure that isn't part of the equation.