Observer

120/11

Is it normal to be getting 120/11 when i am getting 100/10? I do see they have a 120/10 as a plan, though when i wasnt on gigabit and on 10/100, i was getting 50 - 60 / 12

6 REPLIES 6
Helper

Re: 120/11

Spectrum overprovisions a little when it comes to internet packages. A 100/10 Mbps plan should get, under ideal conditions, somewhere in the 120/12 Mbps range. If you were receiving 50-60 download on a 100 plan it would indicate some type of signal issue. That signal issue could be anything from damaged coax, loose connectors, bad ethernet cable, router settings, computer NIC settings, wifi interference, iCloud backups, etc. 

Proven Sharer

That result could also indicate that the modem, whether it was rented or owned by the customer, was only capable of supporting a 60 Mbps connection, or that it had only been provisioned for the 60/5 tier.  There was a lot of that going on in NYC until they got caught.

Observer

thanks i thought i was getting more than i paid for. it is alot more than what i was on before 80 something for 36/6 on twc, now i get 100/10 which is kinda gravy. I really want fiber but its more of a want, than a need, since i dont do anything like twitch streaming. If anything i play counter strike, which isnt bad. 

Proven Sharer

There's a solid business reason that your internet connection is structured this way.  Your modem is getting just enough more "bonus bits" on peaks so that Spectrum can safely make their promise that your speed will always be at least 80% of the tier values in both directions and not have to pay out big bucks every month in credits to their residential internet customers.  If you are playing twitch, your home connection is at the optimum and most stable speed. 

One of the interesting paradoxes in network design is the concept of "The pipe is too big."  If you build and operate an ethernet network with too much bandwidth capacity and too little traffic load, the packet collision avoidance method becomes unstable and then data throughput slows dramatically.  You might think of the data as rattling around inside a large sewer pipe, rather than flowing in a smooth stream from a hose.   You can tell that this concept is not well known or understood whenever users ask for a fiber media connection so they can measure data transfer rates in the multiple Gigabit range, but will never have equipment capable of processing data at those speeds for 8 to 10 hours every weekday and won't pay their share of the costs to build and operate such a network. 

Observer

Interesting, so I am better off not getting fiber if i dont have the purpose? I thought fiber would mean less latency but now latency is dependent on location.
Observer

so if i get this right, if everyone in this country had a fiber optic network, and those who are residential don't use it for 8-10 hours a day probably from sleeping, then would the networks all crawl because there is few people using it to its peak? Packet Collision avoidance is supposed to prevent packets from colliding but if fiber is a synchronous or symmetric connection, wouldn't the overhead be easier to predict. I imagine its the same reason why the nys thruway between lackawanna and Amherst can be congested even though the other parts of the Thruway rarely get congested on the main highway. Maybe its for this reason that net neutrality has to be scrapped in order to create more toll roads or congestion barriers, so that people will pay more to get more bandwidth, but whats to stop them from wasting it, to prevent others from getting on, a selfish move. Maybe thats why ISPs are not public utilites, except in the case of emergency issues and surveillance?