Newcomer

Why is Each Network on 2 Different Channel Numbers?

Just switched from DirecTV to Spectrum. 

Can someone tell me why each network is repeated on 2 different channels?

for example A&E is on channels 57 and 102. CNN is on both 40 and 201. 

Whats up up with That?

4 REPLIES 4
Contributor

Re: Why is Each Network on 2 Different Channel Numbers?

SD vs HD ?

Highlighted
Rookie

In the days of analog cable, channels only went up to 99, sometimes a bit higher. Channels 2-99 haven't been realigned in years so that people used to watching, say CNN on 40, can still tune to that even if they upgrade to digital equipment. Channels 100+ are identical across TWC's footprint. It's just 2-99 that varies by area. For example, 2-99 in Buffalo NY is largely unchanged from the days of Adelphia cable. 

Expert

only the numbers are duplicated, they're probably on the same Qam channel.

BUT, some systems that had leased ot DTA 50's that only did SD out and required SD in, those head ends have a seperate SD and HD qam slot for only the channels in the starter and standard tier, usually up to ch 65 or so. We still have around 40 analog channels here in NEO, to finally go away next month. We have the "same" channel in 2 or 3 places for a few of the starter/standard tier channel, one NTSC analog, A sd qam and an HD qam.

But if you have a HD box, you can enter either channel and will get the HD qam channel on both.

Valued Contributor

Additions to what has been explained. 

The 100+ numbered channels are grouped by "theme" (news, sports, etc.) and fairly common across the US.  Below 100 still the "old local" set of numbers most of us are used to.  There was a time when they said they would do away with that and all local channels would be 1002, 1004, etc. and 2, 4 would not work.  This was after they were using say "2" for SD and "1002" for HD (I think it was acutally 402), but then changed so the box would default to HD no matter which you chose if your TV would support.

Lots of changes over the last 20 years of my cable life.

/Dan