Contributor

What's with the ugly red bars surrounding the closed captions?

This just started yesterday. Now the white text on black background captions are surrounded by red bars. Is there some sort of purpose to this? It only serves to hog up more real estate on one's TV screen. It's especially annoying during black-and-white movies.

6 REPLIES 6
Expert

Re: What's with the ugly red bars surrounding the closed captions?

what box do you have and is it only one channel?

Sounds like your box got an update and there may be an option to change the font color/ transparncy

Trusted Helper

@MsRaye wrote:

what box do you have and is it only one channel?

Sounds like your box got an update and there may be an option to change the font color/ transparncy

Agreed,

Look for "Default" under the closed circut settings options.  Select that, and see if it changes back.

Satch

Contributor

I've got a Cisco box with a DVR. I had never made any changes but on the above suggestion, I did just go to settings and "restore default" to at least get it to factory spec. I still have the red bars and yes, it is on all channels. Sometimes the bar remains even after the captioning is gone. I just watched a captioned movie on TCM and the filler material prior to the next movie wasn't captioned but the nearly screen-wide red box remained. The only way to get rid of it was to turn off the box.

Thanks both of you for your responses.

Contributor

UPDATE: The movie presently on TCM is not captioned, yet the red bar keeps reappearing. It's the width of the screen and about the height of three lines of dialogue based on what I've experienced previously.
Trusted Helper

Greetings,

Have you done a cold reboot of your box?  Power off the box, unplug for several minutes and than plug back in, allowing the system to reboot?

If that doesn't work, you should contact TWC for a service call.

Satch

Highlighted
Contributor

Now why didn't I think of that Satch? It worked, the red bar is gone now so we can consider the case closed.

Thanks.