Not applicable

Tv Broadcasting Fee.

i know this topic about this fee has been brought up a number of times and ironically they all have been locked... what i dont understand and please someone explain to me, why cant i opt out of this charge? why dont cable services charge the people that wants these particular channels and treat it like a package along the lines of what they are doing now with all of these movie channels? if this is a charge that's completely unavoidable and the customer HAS to pay for this no matter if he/she veiws said channels why dont they grant your first cable receiver free? to balance out the unnecessary charge? it just boggles my mind that something this insignificant cant completely be avoided if either side wasnt money hungry...
5 REPLIES 5
Expert

Re: Tv Broadcasting Fee.

Complain to your congressman or go streaming and antenna.

Proven Sharer

@Jstylez wrote:
i know this topic about this fee has been brought up a number of times and ironically they all have been locked... what i dont understand and please someone explain to me, why cant i opt out of this charge? why dont cable services charge the people that wants these particular channels and treat it like a package along the lines of what they are doing now with all of these movie channels? if this is a charge that's completely unavoidable and the customer HAS to pay for this no matter if he/she veiws said channels why dont they grant your first cable receiver free? to balance out the unnecessary charge? it just boggles my mind that something this insignificant cant completely be avoided if either side wasnt money hungry...

The broadcast TV surcharge is really a way for the cable company to raise the rates of the StarterTV package without having to advertise it as such.

If you are going to subscribe to ANY video programming from a cable company, you MUST at least subscribe to the Starter / Basic tier.   (FCC Cable Act of 1992 - Tier Buy Through - see link below).  This tier includes the broadcast channels in your market (should there be a carriage agreement in place), Public Access, some home shopping channels, and MAYBE a payTV network or two (Think WGNA).  This is listed at $20 per month, but you are required to also pay the BroadcastTV surcharge ($6.05 / mo), which brings the total cost of the package to $26.05 per month.  There is no way to avoid this tier/cost and get video programming from the cable company.  We haven't even started with equipment fees, which can bring this above $30 rather quickly.

In its 2016 report on cableTV prices (again, link below), the average retransmission fee per subscriber per broadcast station was $0.75 in 2013.  In 2014, it jumped 43% to $1.07 per subscriber per station.  So, if you have six over-the-air television stations in your market on your system, the retransmission fee for those six stations is $6.42.

When it was first instituted, it was described as a surcharge to itemize the additional retransmission fees that are required to carry OTA signals.   The cable company wanted to emphasize that the major netowrks were driving the increase.

Apparently $26.05 for what you can get with an antenna for free is not pallatable to Madison Avenue, sothe increase is itemized as a surcharge - $20 looks better.  I know programming costs money, but I'd rather the cost be shown as one cost instead of two, and that the cable company be forced to advertise it as such.  People get disenfranchised when they get quoted a great price, but then get nickled and dimed to death by taxes, fees, surcharges, and rental fees.

FCC reports on the cost of the basic tier have shown dramatic increases in the past 10 years.  (It's doubled)

Link to FCC site describing Tiers and why you will need to pay the $6.05 fee per month:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/consumer-options-selecting-cable-channels-and-tier-buy-through-prohibition

Link to FCC Report on Cable Rates:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1166A1.pdf

If you want to avoid the broadcast TV surcharge, cancel video service from the cable company, and keep the internet provider of your choice.  Install an antenna on your roof for the OTA channels, and subscribe to an over-the-top video service such as SlingTV or PSVue for your PayTV networks.

Newcomer

I agree. I am with Jstylez
Broadcast TV and Sports Program charges are ridiculous. I am 88 years old and I could care less about sports. I need to know what can Spectrum do for me to reduce my charges. My bill is 80 some dollars and I don't even watch all channels. Spectrum what can you do for me.
Expert

We're going to get nailed by the end of net neutrality thanks to the current administration. Extra surcharges for streaming video in the very near future....

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

@Paula-88 wrote:
I agree. I am with Jstylez
Broadcast TV and Sports Program charges are ridiculous. I am 88 years old and I could care less about sports. I need to know what can Spectrum do for me to reduce my charges. My bill is 80 some dollars and I don't even watch all channels. Spectrum what can you do for me.

Spectrum (or any cable provider, for that matter) is not going to lower a "Regional Sports Network" Fee, or the "Broadcast TV Surcharge" for you becuase doing so hurts their bottom line.  The fees and surcharges should really should be included in the price for the tier you subscribe to.  Breaking it apart allows them to advertise a better price and hide the plus-up in the fine print.  Content owners sell their programming to cable companies all-or-nothing for the most part.  Want to watch ABC?  Then you'll need to take Disney and ESPN with it.  Want to watch NBC?  Then you'll need to take MSNBC, USA, SyFy, and NBCSN, too.  The content owners DO NOT want to sell their content a-la-carte.  The scope of doing so is beyond this post, but it impacts the number of homes a given network is in, and how that impacts ad-buys across the suite of networks.

Programming is expensive.  If you look at the FCC report on cableTV prices, the "Expanded Basic" tier averaged $69 per month in 2015.  It was $43 in 2005.

Your only hope is to cancel service for 30 days and come back for favorable new customer pricing; put an antenna on your roof and use an Over-the-Top Service for PayTV networks;  reduce your level of video service.

If everyone only paid for the channels they'd watch, the per-channel cost of the programming would make the average person's bill MORE expensive.  If there are more than two dozen cable channels you watch, you are better off paying for the ones you don't watch in order to get a better overall price for the ones you do watch.