Community Manager

Tribune Broadcasting RESOLVED

Tribune Broadcasting, the owner of WGN America and multiple local ABC, CBS, FOX, CW and digital multi-cast channel affiliates across various markets, has removed their stations after negotiations with Charter reached its deadline without resolution.

We will provide updates as they become available.  

49 REPLIES 49
Not applicable

Keep Fox 8 WJW!!!

Fox8 just announced that spectrum may drop them on January 1st. We need our local channels! If spectrum drops fox8, I'll drop spectrum!
Lead Moderator

Re: Keep Fox 8 WJW!!!

Charter is committed to holding down the cost of programming and, in turn, the cost our customers pay for cable television service. Charter’s intention is to continue to provide Tribune programming to our customers. We continue to negotiate with Tribune and hope to reach an agreement on or before December 31, 2018. Periodically agreements with broadcasters expire, most of the time our customers never hear about these business-to-business transactions.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

@acedogg1968 wrote:
Fox8 just announced that spectrum may drop them on January 1st. We need our local channels! If spectrum drops fox8, I'll drop spectrum!

Tribune Broadcasting (owner of Fox8) wants Spectrum's cable subscribers to pay them even more ransom every month for the same signal they send over the air for free.  Keep in mind that WJW-TV8 is also about to drop their over-the-air video signal back down to 720p so they can add yet another sub-channel with more advertising.  Did they conveniently 'forget' to tell us all that little tidbit?

OOPS!! EDIT 12/31:  Despite the previous comment by @Julia_R, Tribune Broadcasting is NOT the owner of Fox, which is on 19 in Cleveland.  The 720p and new sub-channel tidbits appear in the FCC's UHF repacking files.

Sharer

Isn't Fox network programming still only in 720p?
Newcomer

WGN America

According to the crawl at the bottom of screen, Spectrum is stalling in keeping this channel. I watch this channel all the time, and would not be happy if it is dropped.

Participant

Re: WGN America

Just as long as you are willing to pay for it. The reason these disputes happen is because of money. WGN wants more. Spectrum wants to pay less. But in the end the consumer is the one who pays. Spectrum (or any provider for that manner) does not absorb these costs. They pass them along.  

Trusted Helper

Participant

Well unfortunately it seems the extension did not last long. WGN and FOX6 in SE WI are off the air for me at 6:00 pm CST.  

Observer

i would gladly save the $ 10.00 a month if i could drop the locals!!! no sense in wasting $$$ when i can get 150 channels OTA. then they would just have to come out with a DVR that will let one hook up an OTA antenna to it