Observer

Sports Package Games Not In HD???

I am a fairly new subscriber to Spectrum.  I have always had Directv and the MLB Extra Innings Package broadcasted all of my games in HD.  Last year the same mlb package on spectrum/time warner only gave me HD games on 2 channels and the rest were broadcast in SD.  Is this normal?  Is there any plan to change this?  Are the NHL and NBA packages also only broadcast in SD?  I do not want to switch providers but I missed my baseball not in HD, especially in the year 2018!!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Proven Sharer

Re: Sports Package Games Not In HD???

@nfreed14 wrote:

I am a fairly new subscriber to Spectrum.  I have always had Directv and the MLB Extra Innings Package broadcasted all of my games in HD.  Last year the same mlb package on spectrum/time warner only gave me HD games on 2 channels and the rest were broadcast in SD.  Is this normal?  Is there any plan to change this?  Are the NHL and NBA packages also only broadcast in SD?  I do not want to switch providers but I missed my baseball not in HD, especially in the year 2018!!!!

It probably varies from market to market.  The problem with cable television is that most systems are at best, 1 GHz systems, and that bandwidth must be shared between video programming and internet.  Each 6 MHz block of spectrum can be dedicated to either video or internet.  A cable company can probably cram 2 HD feeds in one 6 MHz block, and 6-8 SD feeds in one 6 MHz block.  The more feeds in one block, the lesser the video quality.

As cable companies "upgrade" their internet offerings, they need to "downgrade" the video offerings.   More and more cable systems are running out of room for programming.  So to keep offerings open, they choose to provide only SD feeds, or move channels to Switched-Digital-Video, where you'd only get the feed for the channel if there is open spectrum to send it.  The out-of-market sports programming will certainly be high on the list for downgrade.  There were posts back here in the fall about Center Ice not being in HD...

If watching out-of-market MLB in HD is important to you, I recommend NOT purchasing the Extra Innings package through your cable provider, but instead subscribe to MLB.tv and watch in HD through a Roku (streaming internet) player on your TV. 

Highlighted
Observer

Thanks for the reply....I would think Spectrum would definitely want to address this issue soon with sports packages such as Extra Innings, Center Ice, and the NBA package so they don't lose customers.  I would love to hear from a Spectrum representative on this topic.

Proven Sharer

@nfreed14 wrote:

Thanks for the reply....I would think Spectrum would definitely want to address this issue soon with sports packages such as Extra Innings, Center Ice, and the NBA package so they don't lose customers.  I would love to hear from a Spectrum representative on this topic.

Just remember that IF you are using Spectrum as your internet provider for streaming video, you are still their customer, paying them every month.  Meanwhile YOU have to chase down video providers for all of your favorite programming and you'll pay them separately.   "Cutting the cord" is not neccesarily going to hurt Spectrum financially. 

Proven Sharer

@nfreed14 wrote:

I am sure they've run the numbers...  They probably have data which tells them people care more about high speed internet than out-of-market sports, so they steer their business model in that direction.