Valued Contributor

Reception problems

Why is channel 19 in Cleveland so much weaker east of Euclid than everywhere else in the area? This station is supposed to cover all of northern Ohio, with no exceptions. I don't like the idea of having to pay for cable just to get this station. Where I used to live before I moved here, channel 19, and every other Cleveland TV station, came in just fine. Now I live in Fairport Harbor and am forced to have cable if I want decent reception from every Cleveland TV station. With that 3 million watt plus signal channel 19 has, I would think that station would cover the entire northern Ohio area for 100 miles in all directions.

What does channel ten in Canada have to do with channel 19 in Cleveland? Cleveland is nowhere near Canada anyway, so the latter's TV stations should not have a thing to do with stations in our area.

3 REPLIES 3
Expert

Re: Reception problems

Channel 19 actually transmits on VHF ch 10 and it has lower ERP than Fox8 which actually transmitts on VHF ch 8

The problem is the VHF ch 10 in London Ontario and the path over lake Erie that at times has tropospheric ducting and NO LOSS!

What is your zip and major cross streets near you?

I have a commercial install there that we used a mesh satellite dish to block London's 10.

19 also has a second transmitter on ch 24 or 25 that covers towards akron but it.s really weak

The only other ch's that transmit on the same as their aliases ar Ch's 6,7, 8,23,45,47

3-5 are on 17 and 15 UHF

While the map shows CFPL in London 50 dB weaker, that assumes it's over ground clutter and NOT WATER. It's also listed as an edge, not tropo, but I'll bet from experiences there that there is tropospheric ducting over the lake 80% of the time

Here's a generic printout of your zip code, and is not accurate enough without cross streets due to wher you are in relation to Cleveland hts.

Next, there is a really good dual band (VHF hi and UHF yagi available from Solidsales in detroit, it's about $90 shipped.

All antenna's at Wall mart/ best buy are useless junk for anywhere along the shelf as they are UHF only and not directional.  they don't work unless you'r 5-10 miles line of site of ch 7 8 10... Don't work at all on 6.

which is vhf low

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134b934c57bcc

Valued Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

Channel 19 actually transmits on VHF ch 10 and it has lower ERP than Fox8 which actually transmitts on VHF ch 8

The problem is the VHF ch 10 in London Ontario and the path over lake Erie that at times has tropospheric ducting and NO LOSS!

What is your zip and major cross streets near you?

I have a commercial install there that we used a mesh satellite dish to block London's 10.

19 also has a second transmitter on ch 24 or 25 that covers towards akron but it.s really weak

The only other ch's that transmit on the same as their aliases ar Ch's 6,7, 8,23,45,47

3-5 are on 17 and 15 UHF

While the map shows CFPL in London 50 dB weaker, that assumes it's over ground clutter and NOT WATER. It's also listed as an edge, not tropo, but I'll bet from experiences there that there is tropospheric ducting over the lake 80% of the time

Here's a generic printout of your zip code, and is not accurate enough without cross streets due to wher you are in relation to Cleveland hts.

Next, there is a really good dual band (VHF hi and UHF yagi available from Solidsales in detroit, it's about $90 shipped.

All antenna's at Wall mart/ best buy are useless junk for anywhere along the shelf as they are UHF only and not directional.  they don't work unless you'r 5-10 miles line of site of ch 7 8 10... Don't work at all on 6.

which is vhf low

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134b934c57bcc

MsRaye, I live in Fairport Harbor which is nowhere near Cleveland Heights. I looked at that printout from TVFool.com, but I did not understand one word of it as I am not a television engineer or any kind of expert. (I didn't understand your explanation of why channel 10 in Canada is ruining my reception of channel 19 on indoor aerials, either.) Further, it listed TV stations I have never heard of in my life. The only TV stations I've ever known are 3, 5, 8, 25, 43, 55 and 61, and I could receive every one of them on rabbit ears when I lived in Wickliffe.

I moved to Fairport Harbor 16 years ago, however, and found that I had lost most of my TV reception, except for channel nineteen; in fact, that station was the only channel with a picture good enough to watch--most of the other stations were fair to poor at best, and channel 3 didn't even reach here (in NTSC analog).

Outdoor television aerials are forbidden in this apartment building (everyone here has cable or satellite), so I had to wait until I could get cable. I even agreed to that, and it worked very well for me, until the DTV transition. Now I find that channel 19 is actually transmitting on a channel already occupied by a station in Canada, which is making it impossible for me to receive 19 on an indoor antenna.

Why doesn't the owner of channel 19 put up a translator for the east lakeshore area, like they did for the Akron region? I wonder if they realize they are losing viewers right and left east of Cleveland, along the lake, simply because the station's signal does not reach here? (Maybe they don't realize there is a problem, although, since 19 has been on the air since 1985, thirty-one years, they very well should.)

I wish the FCC had left America's television transmission system alone, instead of converting it to digital. DTV is causing reception problems in many areas, not just here, which delights the cable companies but leaves ordinary folks like myself without TV reception, unless we pay for cable. 

Another solution to the channel 19 reception problem along the lake would be if the station had put its DTV signal on 19, as a station in Akron on channel 23 did. This is called "flash cutting" and, although I don't know how it works, it is completely legal.

I am beginning to wonder if the company that owns channel 19, Raycom Media, even knows or cares that there is a huge dead spot in their coverage area east of Cleveland that is costing them viewers. I am tempted to send an e-mail to them to find out exactly what, if anything, they intend to do about it.

Highlighted
Expert

They like cable alias all the channels, they do not transmit on uhf 19 but are on vhf ch 190 the same as CFPL.
 you need a directional antenna aimed at the sw side of cleveland to block interference from due north

Fairport harbor is even worst, there is no line of sight path with an antenna 50' up in the air.

Complain to the FCC, you customers wanted 4G lte phones and that's where the FCC stole the bandwidth from

There are numerous complaints to WOIO already, the day they turned on CH 10