Rookie

Missing On Demand Episodes

I tried posting this earlier, but it wound up in a completely random "internet" thread. Hoping it will be correct this time.

I have had an issue with episodes never showing up on demand basically since starting with on demand. I've searched through these forums to find other threads complaining, but never with a helpful solution. So I tried contacting tech support and got two different responses. First was her looking up the shows/episodes in question. She explained that they are listed as being looked into and should be up within 72 hours.

After still not listed 72 hours later, my second call was responded with it being the network's fault/decision. This doesn't seem likely because I've had issues with USA, Food Network, Discovery, NBC, CBS, etc. I could understand the lesser networks or one of the more major, but all of them?

Basically, the on demand feature seems completely pointless for me because I'm always going to have to worry that random episodes will never show up. Could somebody PLEASE get this figured out or come up with any way to help?

Equipment:
Samsung Smart TV
Iphone app (though I don't want to watch this way anyway.. it's why I have a 52" TV)
Two cable boxes from TWC/Spectrum

Example of Shows:
Big Brother on CBS (episodes 7 and 8 should both be available) - updated, episodes 7 and 8 have both finally shown up. But now 9 is not there

Team Ninja Warrior on USA (season 2 episode 10 and 15 (10 was available at one point but 15 never was)
4 REPLIES 4
Helper

Re: Missing On Demand Episodes

99% this is a network decision to make certain episodes available or unavailable, especially with back episodes.

Proven Sharer

On Demand is not a DVR service.  It shouldn't be relied upon to binge watch / catch up with a season.  Some episodes may not be available on "On Demand" for various reasons (Network decision, music clearance rights, etc.).  Assume that no more than four weeks of shows will be available at any time - and not necessarily the most recent four - but the last four that have aired.

Many content owners (such as CBS) WANT you to pay for their content above and beyond your cable subscription (such as CBS All Access).

I consider on-demand a "throw in" to the linear feeds of channels I sub to.

Highlighted
Rookie

Neither of these is helpful. I am not looking to binge watch anything, they are current shows/episodes. And if a network like CBS would want us to pay for their own service, why would they put any of their content on the On Demand at all?

There are obviously issues with how Spectrum's service works or it's something that messes up when the networks enter whatever they do.. I can see essentially what it is (many very recent episodes become unavailable if/when they become listed with a new (repeat) future viewing date) but continually just get excuses instead.

All I'm trying to determine is that the On Demand feature is often pointless, which I have.
Proven Sharer

@angel2 wrote:
Neither of these is helpful. I am not looking to binge watch anything, they are current shows/episodes. And if a network like CBS would want us to pay for their own service, why would they put any of their content on the On Demand at all?

There are obviously issues with how Spectrum's service works or it's something that messes up when the networks enter whatever they do.. I can see essentially what it is (many very recent episodes become unavailable if/when they become listed with a new (repeat) future viewing date) but continually just get excuses instead.

All I'm trying to determine is that the On Demand feature is often pointless, which I have.

There is a reason why CBS started "All Access" instead of joining up with Hulu.  But as we've said, we are peer-to-peer support.  We cannot force content to be on-demand.

One would need to compare Spectrum offerings with legacy TWC offerings, Brighthouse offerings, and offerings by other independent providers (other cable companies and/or sat companies), along with examining the actual carriage agreements to see if this is actually a technical problem or a carriage problem.

I am only speculating, but it is possible that the agreement between Spectrum and CBS stipulates that only certain shows / episodes are made available on-demand.  For all we know, Spectrum could have balked at an extra 25 cents per month per sub to carry the full slate of CBS shows, and instead took less of an on-demand pacakge to keep rates down.  We just don't know enough to draw any conclusions.

There are other ways to get shows if one is willing to invest and pay.