GH2
Not applicable

MSG and NBCSN Unavailable

For the past few days we have been unable to watch MSG and NBCSN on our TV, however I know that we get them because I checked our plan and I can watch them with no problem online with Spectrum.  Every time I try to go to either of those channels it takes 30 seconds to a minute to switch from what ever channel I am currently on and then it shows a message that says "Unavailable at this time. Try again later."  Is anyone else having this issue?  I thought that the hockey games might be blacked out in our area for some reason, but since I can watch both channels online I don't think that is the case.

5 REPLIES 5
Proven Sharer

Re: MSG and NBCSN Unavailable

Market?

Traditional cable set-top box or app?

Could be a switched digital issue or too much IP traffic at a given time. (i.e. - Everyone wanted to stream the SuperBowl at the same time.)

For the first round only, games will be on the RSN (MSG) and the NBC Networks (NBC, CNBC, USA, NBCSN).  Going forward, every game will be on the NBC Networks exclusively.

Helper

If you're using a set top box then it could be a signal issue...damaged coax, loose connections, etc.

GH2
Not applicable

I am in the Saratoga, NY area and the problem I am having is with the traditional box.  I am able to get the channels using the app, which I thought was the odd part.  I guess it won't be a problem once the first round is over. 

I don't think it is a coax issue because every other channel works fine, it is specifically those two channels that just happen to be showing hockey that don't work.

Helper

I have a slight coax issue somewhere in my setup that only impacts ESPN delivered over the traditional QAM. It's not severe enough for me to worry about it yet but it's there and it's not an ESPN problem...it's a signal problem.  The streaming ESPN channel on the app works fine.

It's not weird at all that the streaming version of a channel on the app would work fine but the QAM version on the set top box has issues. The two are delivered over very different protocols that are largely independent of each other.

Trusted Helper

@GH2 wrote:

For the past few days we have been unable to watch MSG and NBCSN on our TV, however I know that we get them because I checked our plan and I can watch them with no problem online with Spectrum.  Every time I try to go to either of those channels it takes 30 seconds to a minute to switch from what ever channel I am currently on and then it shows a message that says "Unavailable at this time. Try again later."  Is anyone else having this issue?  I thought that the hockey games might be blacked out in our area for some reason, but since I can watch both channels online I don't think that is the case.

Yes,

A signal issue could be tied to just one or two channels.  If the problem persists, get a tech out for a signal and drop line test.  AVOID REBOOTING ANY BOXES, MODEMS, OR ROUTERS FOR SIX HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR TECH VISIT.  Reboots will cause the signal error codes to be reset.

When the tech comes, have him tune to each of those channels to get a signal reading.  Swapped boxes will never solve bad signals, so you have something such as a poor cable connection, a problem with your drop line, or a further problem in your node.

Satch