LJ1
Not applicable

Re: Local weather radar

Thanks very much!

Proven Sharer

We get TWC on 41 like everyone else, but they don't run local anything.  When digital came out, both Cleveland's NBC affiliate WKYC 3-2 and ABC/Disney WEWS  5-2 used to broadcast local weather radar loops over the air, but they don't any more.  I don't think Fox 19 or CBS 8 ever jumped on that PR bandwagon.   And now I don't even have an outdoor antenna connected to my second TV set in case the cable and internet goes out - I guess I should fix that!

As for the public safety value, you are preaching to the choir - I've been part of SkyWARN based out of the Cleveland NWS for nearly 40 years. 

Proven Sharer

The Weather Channel used to really do weather around the clock.  I remember back in the 80's they had the whole hour of programming broken down into 5 minute blocks, with no less than 6 minutes between local forecasts.

Alas, just like MTV used to play music videos, The Weather Channel simply cannot survive doing strictly the weather 24/7, hence the "reality weather" shows.  I don't think I've tuned into the Weather Channel more than ten times in 20 years.  There are much better options for getting up to date weather.

If you have a smart phone, download the "accuweather" app.  It will actually send you notifications if / when alerts are issued for your area.

Trusted Helper

@dstoffa wrote:

The Weather Channel used to really do weather around the clock.  I remember back in the 80's they had the whole hour of programming broken down into 5 minute blocks, with no less than 6 minutes between local forecasts.

Alas, just like MTV used to play music videos, The Weather Channel simply cannot survive doing strictly the weather 24/7, hence the "reality weather" shows.  I don't think I've tuned into the Weather Channel more than ten times in 20 years.  There are much better options for getting up to date weather.

If you have a smart phone, download the "accuweather" app.  It will actually send you notifications if / when alerts are issued for your area.

I agree,

I remember vividly when The Weather Channel was all weather and the Doppler Radar subchannel was offered.  But competition from computer apps, websites, programs for Smartphones and Tablets as well, no longer make 24/7 weather a viable programing option.  To offer something like that on TV, the costs would be too high.

Even back in the day for Weather Channel, you still had to wait every eight minutes or switch to the Doppler Radar channel for local weather.  Now with the weather apps, websites, available for just about any device, you can access weather when you want instantly, without the programing costs associated with maintaining a radar channel.

Amazon even has Alexa.  A voice activated response system that you can plug in and activate to your Wi-Fi Internet  Similar to Cortona in Windows 10, but with no computer needed, you can set this little device on a table, and ask her literally anything that you can find online.  She will respond back to you with the needed information.  There are also optional download applications for Apple devices that allow you to customize her environment and "remember" things based on environment, cultural, educational, entertainment, social, musical, and political parameters that you can customize at any time.  She is great for weather and news information, and locations are automatically tied to your Wi-FI area, unless you ask her to search elsewhere.  No TV, No phone, not even a computer or tablet needed.  It's pretty cool!

Satch

Proven Sharer

You can tell we are becoming dinosaurs when we can accurately remember and discuss specific cable programming formats from the 80's! 

The Weather Channel phone app also can send localized WX alerts and warnings to your phone.  One or the other seems to be bundled on every new smartphone by whatever carrier is doing the product blitz.  And there are other free specialized smartphone apps for lightning and specific natural disasters in targeted coverage areas.  As always YMMV.

Proven Sharer

@karlbeckman wrote:

You can tell we are becoming dinosaurs when we can accurately remember and discuss specific cable programming formats from the 80's!

I remember the wired 30 channel cable box.  Fifteen buttons, a row selector, and a fine tuning knob.  30 channels would seem like nothing today, but back then, when the alternative was an antenna which would get at least three stations (and many more if you lived in a big city with a lot of independents), it was the best thing since sliced bread...  Unleast until the Betamax...

Lead Moderator

We didn't have cable until my mid teens.

I remember having a Heath kit tv set my dad built in a huge wooden cabinet with the clicky dial. If you didn't get it right on the right spot you didn't get a good picture.  Bunny ears on the top of the set had to be just so...

We had Channel 2, 4, 6 (PBS), 7 and 9. It was a super big deal when channel 12 (secondary PBS affiliate) became available.    Ahhh the good old days of watching Mutual of Omaha on Sunday nights. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Community Manager

When I was a kid, we had black and white tv that needed to warm up.  Then we got a 13" Sony trinitron and I remember the neighbors coming over to see it.    Maybe we should start a  "do you remember..."  post ?  

sony.png

Helper

This was my first cable box as a kid. I loved sliding the control back and forth as fast as humanly possible, much to the dismay of my dad.

cable box.png

Trusted Helper

Cool nostalgia stuff! LOL!

I just thought of something regarding finding local weather.  My PBS station in Brookfield, Wisconsin has a local weather sub-channel 24x7  It is called. "PBS Weather."  Search your guide for that, or just the word "Weather" to see if your division has a digital sub-channel. for weather information only.  Some Spectrum markets may have something like that which might show weather radar, especially with a 24x7 area coverage.

Satch