Highlighted
Lld
Rookie

Local weather radar

This is an essential channel for safety purposes.  It gets the emergency information well before the commercial channels.   BRING IT BACK!!!

19 REPLIES
LJ1
Not applicable

Local Dopper Weather Radar

Bring it back.

Proven Sharer

Re: Local Dopper Weather Radar

Fill out the form to request the programming.

I am certain these stations are not used as much as they once were (people will now use their phone apps, the internet, etc. instead of their TV for this inoformation.)  It simply may no longer cost-effective to provide the programming.

@LJ1 wrote:

Bring it back.

Trusted Helper

Agree 100% Weather Doppler Radar as a channel is no longer cost-effective programing:

You can get tons of weather information for your local community online through websites and applications, such as those built into Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Just enter your zip code, save the information, bookmark it, or put it on your Start Menu for access to instant weather. I am sure that Apple provides similar weather applications, as well as tablets and smartphones.

Spectrum dropped Weather Doppler Radar because NBC Universal, which owned the channel wanted too much money for a new contract. Few want another rate increase when so much weather information can be gotten for free. I just Bookmark Weather Channel's website with the zip code for my area in my browser's Bookmarks Toolbar and get the information that way.

Satch

Helper

LJ1
Not applicable

Re: Local weather radar

Yes, please bring back the Doppler Local Weather Radar channel !!!
Proven Sharer

Depending on where you are located (you gave us no clue at all), the major network stations may still broadcast local weather radar on one of their video subcarriers.  Spectrum carries those feeds in markets where the local stations are not extremely greedy and refrain from raising their local programming fees to excessively high levels. 

Generally your complaints will do more good when lodged with the local TV broadcast station management.  They are the folks getting the extra bucks that Spectrum has to charge to keep the programming on cable. 

Lld
Rookie

We are in Columbus, OH.  Today, 6/19 is the first day of digital conversion, and although most channels seem to be there as usual, the radar channel is now CSPAN3.  There is no weather on any of the network digital additions, just old reruns and movies.  We did have weather on one of them around 8 years ago but no more.  It is annoying that Spectrum never said anything about the radar going away.

LJ1
Not applicable

karlbeckman, could you please expand on that? If we are in Columbus, what stations would we contact? Thanks.

Proven Sharer

Typically one of your local broadcast TV stations provides "Local Weather Radar" on one of their digital subchannels. 

It would seem that none of the Columbus OH TV Stations is offering this type of programming:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio#Television

(be sure to "Show" the stations) although a low power station in Mansfield, OH is offering it.

They'd be a station to lobby if Spectrum wasn't carrying the feed, but if the station themselves have decided to offer other programming, they surely have a reason - dollars.

Only one station in New York City offers a looping local weather feed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_in_New_York_City#List_of_TV_stations

One station up in Green Bay, WI offers it:  WBAY-DT2

Which local  terrestrial TV station in your market had the local radar?  I'd start with them.