Spectator

Local channel no longer available

I was receiving local Comet channel WMYV, Winston Salem in my Spectrum ChoiceTV

package. Less than a week later I cannot. It is a local channel but I'm now told it is not in my package. Doesn't even show in "Local Lineup', what gives?

5 REPLIES 5
Trusted Helper

Re: Local channel no longer available

@Justwondering wrote:

I was receiving local Comet channel WMYV, Winston Salem in my Spectrum ChoiceTV

package. Less than a week later I cannot. It is a local channel but I'm now told it is not in my package. Doesn't even show in "Local Lineup', what gives?

Hi Just Wondering,

Any recent changes to your account?  My understanding is that Spectrum Choice allows up to 10 channels from a list of 60.  Best guess is that when the account was synchronized with your package, it was dropped.  BUT Spectrum Choice is supposed to give you all your local channels for free.

The other possibility is that the channel was dropped due to a carriage dispute.  When you try to tune to this channel what do you see?

Can you please provide your zip code in the Winston, Salem area so that one of our mods can investigate that status and minimum level of service for WMYV?  If it's not something that is directly noticeable, the mod may ask you to send a Direct Message to our Forums Help area with your account information in the Private Message so that we can see what is happening with that channel in your area?

Satch

Highlighted
Spectator

Thanks for such a immediate answer.

i haven't changed anything in my package, in fact I have only had the service eight days.

the channel just disappeared. I can search the call letters and I get 2 sister stations as well as Comet but clicking on Comet gives me, the not in my package message. The sister stations are available for my viewing.

Zipcode is 27101.

Thanks again

Helper

In your area Comet is a digital sub-channel of the local station...48.3 I think? It could be that the local station dropped Comet in favor of something else or decided not to renew a carriage agreement with Spectrum.

Trusted Helper

@reds91185 wrote:

In your area Comet is a digital sub-channel of the local station...48.3 I think? It could be that the local station dropped Comet in favor of something else or decided not to renew a carriage agreement with Spectrum.

Hey Reds,

Sup?  I am either thinking what you said above, or for some reason.  Comet wanted to move off of Spectrum Choice to Spectrum Select.  However, I know for sure that Spectrum Select includes all the local channels.  (Or at least, it's supposed to be that way.)

If "Just Wondering" was told by a Spectrum rep that Comet TV is not in his/her package,and the rep is correct, obviously Spectrum moved that station to a higher level of service.  Can a station bypass Spectrum's inclusion of all local channels on Spectrum Choice, and say, "No, we want to move to Spectrum Select, (the next higher tier) and force Spectrum to move the channel to that tier?

Spectrum Choice is a new service designed for people with limited budgets to introduce them to cable TV, or perhaps being them back to cable TV somewhere striking a balance between Broadcast Basic, but not as high as Spectrum Select.  The question is, can a channel do what it wants regarding cable TV tier placement, even though all the locals are supposed to be included with Spectrum Choice?

I am interested in knowing what is happening with Comet TV in this zip code with regards to the service and product placement?  I wonder if the main local station in Salem would also have information about this sub-channel in this area?

Satch

Trusted Helper

@Justwondering wrote:

Thanks for such a immediate answer.

i haven't changed anything in my package, in fact I have only had the service eight days.

the channel just disappeared. I can search the call letters and I get 2 sister stations as well as Comet but clicking on Comet gives me, the not in my package message. The sister stations are available for my viewing.

Zipcode is 27101.

Thanks again

Your welcome,

If you still can't receive Comet TV, I would recommend reaching to Comet through their website or social media page.  Provide your zip code and say that you can't get Comet TV through your current level of service.  Say that you have Spectrum Choice, and do you need to update to Spectrum Select to get Comet TV?  Does anyone on here know if this user needs to do that, or is there a contact dispute between Spectrum and CometTV? in the Winston, Salem, North Carolina area?

If Comet Says:

We moved to Spectrum Select- You will have to upgrade to Spectrum Select to get Comet TV

We are in a carriage dispute with Spectrum- You will have to watch  OTA with an antenna.

We don't know Than there is something on Spectrum's end that needs to be resolved.  Hopefully, this can get to the right person, because it sounds like a simple answer to what should be an easy question- What is the service level required to get Comet TV in Winston, Salem North Carolina, zip 27101? or was the channel dropped due to a carriage dispute?

Satch