Not applicable

LOCAL WEATHER RADAR - WHY IS IT GONE?

Please bring back our Local Weather Radar.  It is used to monitor our local weather for safety reasons, plan for outings and More.  Why did you take it away?  Was becoming happy with TWC/Spectrum until you did this!!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Proven Sharer

Re: LOCAL WEATHER RADAR - WHY IS IT GONE?

@Buckeyes1 wrote:

Please bring back our Local Weather Radar.  It is used to monitor our local weather for safety reasons, plan for outings and More.  Why did you take it away?  Was becoming happy with TWC/Spectrum until you did this!!!!!

I am most certain that it is gone because the carriage deal expired, and the content owners demanded an increase, which the cable company decided not to pay.

Many people now use their phones / apps to check the weather radar, so I assume that the user base / viewership is waning.  This is parallel to "The Weather Channel" no longer doing just the weather...

Even my local broadcast stations stopped airing such weather feeds, but in their defense they probably generate more revenue from broadcasting a Digital Sub-Net (MeTV, This!, buzzr!, etc.) than airing a weather loop.

Does your system have a "Traffic & Weather" station?

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Re: LOCAL WEATHER RADAR - WHY IS IT GONE?

@dstoffa wrote:

@Buckeyes1 wrote:

I am most certain that it is gone because the carriage deal expired, and the content owners demanded an increase, which the cable company decided not to pay.

Many people now use their phones / apps to check the weather radar, so I assume that the user base / viewership is waning.  This is parallel to "The Weather Channel" no longer doing just the weather...

Even my local broadcast stations stopped airing such weather feeds, but in their defense they probably generate more revenue from broadcasting a Digital Sub-Net (MeTV, This!, buzzr!, etc.) than airing a weather loop.

Does your system have a "Traffic & Weather" station?

That's exactly what happened,

Legacy TWC Pre-Spectrum had a carriage agreement with NBC-Universal, and our Weather Radar channel in the Metro-Milwaukee TWC Market was a sub-channel of NBC.  TWC got the rights for a new contract for NBC main stations, but NBC wanted too much money for the 24/7 Local Weather Station, so it was dropped.

With the tons of local weather applets available on computers, I-Phones, and tablets for free, this is not a big loss.  I use Weather Channel's website for local weather.  Just go to that site, punch in your zip code and bookmark it.  (I have it in my Favorites Toolbar) for all my browsers (MS Edge, Firefox, and IE 11) on Windows 10.

Windows 10 also has a weather application that will activate to local weather with an install of a computer running that Operating System.  (As does Windows 8.1)  It's there as a default tile in the Start Menu, and you can get it 24/7.  Apple I am sure has similar options.  I am sure that Yahoo, Google, Bing, all the search engines have local weather availability.

With so many of these choices offered for local weather for free, it no longer makes sense for service provides to have to pay residual fees for the same content.

Satch