ant
Established Sharer

Is EAS supposed to stop DVR's playbacks?

Hello.

I was watching my Grey's Anatomy (good episode!) recording from TWC's DCX3510M DVR. And then a weekly red scrolling EAS banner came up. I know it is required to show these tests and I'm OK with them, but did it really have to stop the playback with a black screen behind it? Smiley Sad I hope it won't stop my recordings which would suck more!

Powering off and on back to live TV (KABC7) fixed the black screen though and was able to play back where I left off with the red scrolling EAS banner.

Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
Helper

Re: Is EAS supposed to stop DVR's playbacks?

Fascinating, I bet the recording is not affected, they want you to see EAS in real time, but who knows. Its always something as Roseanne Roseannadanna said.
ant
Established Sharer

@jhf5 wrote:
Fascinating, I bet the recording is not affected, they want you to see EAS in real time, but who knows. Its always something as Roseanne Roseannadanna said.

According to https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30584511-~time=1455295070 and other online sources, recordings stop too. Smiley Sad

Expert

EAS alerts are supposed to be real time, to overide what's on your tv screen. Sticking them in a recording could induce panic.

Some DVR's like Uverse do not record real time, their bandwidth trick is to grab programming when there's open bandwidth and stop when it's busy. TWC has that capability on the advanced DVR's that have the 8x4 IPTV docsis 3 data modems in them. They could be recording off TWCTV rather than RF QAM, you'd never know.