Highlighted
Trusted Helper

HBO Max Launches Today! (Free With HBO) On Spectrum

Guys,

Today, HBO Max launches! This is a new streaming service, and to get it for free on Spectrum, you just need to subscribe to HBO. The thing is this is NOT just another HBO sub channel. Deals have been launched with many other companies like MGM, Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbara to provide a very extensive library of movies, series/sitcoms, and original shows. Other companies may be launching shows on the service as well. More info here:

https://www.hbomax.com/

If you already have HBO and an online Spectrum Billing Account, just log in to the site using that information. Contact Spectrum for any first year deals. So this might be a good time to at least try HBO for a year if you don't already have the channel to get HBO Max for free.

Satch

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: HBO Max Launches Today! (Free With HBO) On Spectrum

Thanks, @Satch ! 

I added the app to my iPhone and Samsung TV and found the process pretty easy.  There is definitely a lot of great content! 

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Guys,

I was asked if Spectrum is providing any one year promotions for people who don't have HBO and just want HBO Max for less than $14.99.  This opens up three potential options:

1.) You can call Spectrum and ask the rep if you don't have HBO, could you get HBO Max for a lesser price for a year? ( I would estimate maybe you could it for around $11 for 12 months.)

2.) If you have CATV already, ask if you could get a deal on HBO for a year. (HBO Max is than free for you, even after the year expires.)

3.) With CATV, ask about deals for the Spectrum Silver and/or Spectrum Gold Plan, These packages have HBO already in them, so you would get HBO Max for free, and potentially a one year deal on Spectrum Silver and Gold packages.

Satch

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Guys,

I heard that if you have HBO Now/HBO GO, that HBO Max is going to be offered through an automatic update on your mobile device.  (Everything on HBO Now/HBO GO is already on HBO Max) HBO Max has so much more content.

But some have suggested to manually remove the HBO Now and HBO Go apps if you have them, and than install HBO Max on your device. They said that if you don't, you might have trouble installing and activating HBO Max.

Satch

Highlighted
Helper

HBO Now is automatically updated to HBO Max on supported devices...no Roku or Fire devices just yet. It updated on my Apple TV and iPhone. HBO GO app will remain separate for some time as it is the gateway for all the other cable company subscribers to HBO that do not qualify for Max. 

If you have a tv package through Spectrum that does not include HBO, you still may qualify for free HBO Max if you have certain packages of AT&T wireless or other AT&T services.

Highlighted
Browser

i haven't tried it yet. but i hear it's a nightmare

Highlighted
Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

i haven't tried it yet. but i hear it's a nightmare

HBO Max works great if you have a device that supports it.

Highlighted
Observer

I have 2 Samsung SMART TV's, both of which get Amazon Prime and Netflix via their respective Apps, ( and have a huge list of other Apps available) - and are new enough to get more than I will ever need. BUT: I have an HBO subscription, and I have the Apps set to automatically update, but the HBO MAX App has not shown up yet - Only HBO GO is in the 100 + list when I list the video Apps. Am I doing something incorrectly or has Samsung simply not added the App to its list ? How did you do it? TIA
Highlighted
Helper

I don't have a Samsung tv but I thought any Samsung 2016-present should have the Max app available. For me, the Now app automatically updated to Max on my Apple TV and iphone. Still waiting for Roku since that is my primary viewing method. 

From whom do you subcribe to HBO (Spectrum, HBO Now, Prime or Hulu add-on)?  My understanding is if you subcribe via Spectrum (or a handful of other cable providers) or directly through HBO you are eligible for Max access right away. If through Prime/Hulu as an add-on you aren't yet eligible. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

@falcon04 wrote:
I have 2 Samsung SMART TV's, both of which get Amazon Prime and Netflix via their respective Apps, ( and have a huge list of other Apps available) - and are new enough to get more than I will ever need. BUT: I have an HBO subscription, and I have the Apps set to automatically update, but the HBO MAX App has not shown up yet - Only HBO GO is in the 100 + list when I list the video Apps. Am I doing something incorrectly or has Samsung simply not added the App to its list ? How did you do it? TIA

@falcon04 , 

For HBO MAX on Samsung TV, the authentication is a two step verification process. You need to launch the app, then authenticate on a mobile device or laptop.   

To get started,  select source, then search and enter HBO MAX.  You will get an alphanumeric code on the TV screen.  Then go to https://www.hbomax.com/ and sign in.  Select "sign in through TV", then follow the steps to authenticate.  Enter the alphanumeric code from your TV when prompted and you should be set.   Let us know if you have trouble logging in.