Rookie

Fox in Bowling Green, KY not true HD?

I have just been watching preseason football on WBKO FOX 13.2 (8 on cable lineup).  The picture quality is absolutely horrible.   I have an antenna and switched over to pick up Fox out of Nashville.  I know over the air is supposed to be clearer, but the Fox coming from Spectrum looks horrendous!   I had to do the same during the US Open golf tournament in June.   Digital 13.2 is clearly a standard definition signal over the air.   Is Spectrum simply upconverting WBKO's SD and passing it off as HD.  

I'm I'm seriously considering going back to DIRECTV and get a TIVO for over the air out of Nashville if we can't get all 4 of the major networks in true HD.  Why are we paying for if our "locals" aren't true HD?   If WBKO wants us to watch their broadcast with their advertisers, then this needs to be fixed.  

4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: Fox in Bowling Green, KY not true HD?

Is there a 13.3 and 13.4?

If so, the 13.1 is HD and the rest are SD

Is the channel not full screen?

But, cable isn't HD anyway, it's horribly compressed....

Call the station and ask to speak with their engineering department... No one you call at TWC will have a correct answer for you....

Proven Sharer

@TmTx2 wrote:

I have just been watching preseason football on WBKO FOX 13.2 (8 on cable lineup).  The picture quality is absolutely horrible.   I have an antenna and switched over to pick up Fox out of Nashville.  I know over the air is supposed to be clearer, but the Fox coming from Spectrum looks horrendous!   I had to do the same during the US Open golf tournament in June.   Digital 13.2 is clearly a standard definition signal over the air.   Is Spectrum simply upconverting WBKO's SD and passing it off as HD.  

I'm I'm seriously considering going back to DIRECTV and get a TIVO for over the air out of Nashville if we can't get all 4 of the major networks in true HD.  Why are we paying for if our "locals" aren't true HD?   If WBKO wants us to watch their broadcast with their advertisers, then this needs to be fixed. 

WBKO has three streams.

13.1 is ABC, and is in 720p

13.2 is Fox, and is in 480i (Standard Definition)

13.3 is the CW, and also is in 480i (SD)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBKO

You aren't getting "all the networks" in HD because the Bowlign Green KY market doesn't have enough stations assigned to it to provide HD signals for all networks.

WKBO is probably not providing a HD signal to TWC/Spectrum - and it would be on the station to make a HD version available to operators.  While Fox network programming is in HD, local programming may not be.

If WKBO and WNKY are your "local stations", they won't be in HD on DirecTV either.  You are regulated to watch Fox and CBS in SD.  Importing a distant feed hurts the local affiliate, and you'd need a waiver from WKBO and WNKY to be able to get "distant" Network feeds from a Satellite company.

This is not a TWC/Spectrum issue.  It needs to be taken up with station management, and their hands might be tied, as there isn't enough bandwidth available.

Rookie

It is a Spectrum issue when tech savy consumers turn to other sources because of the inferiority of the product that Spectrum and WBKO are partnering to provide. Monopoly on the part of both parties. Thank goodness I can switch over to watch Nashville and get a true HD picture.
Proven Sharer

@TmTx2 wrote:
It is a Spectrum issue when tech savy consumers turn to other sources because of the inferiority of the product that Spectrum and WBKO are partnering to provide. Monopoly on the part of both parties. Thank goodness I can switch over to watch Nashville and get a true HD picture.

No arguement from me it's an inferior poriduct, but it's not something the cable company has control over.  Their hands are tied.  WBKO is the local FOX affiliate for Bowling Green, and that is what they must carry.  This issue needs to be taken up with the station.

There are three ways you can receive "Network" programming:

1.  Via an antenna.   The limits on what you can receive are a function of your location, antenna, and equipment.

2.  Via CableTV.  Your viewing options depend on what is deemed "local" to you.

3.  Via DBS.  Your viewing options depend on what is deemed "local" to you.

WBKO signed an agreement to carry FOX on one of their subchannels.   They are the "franchise" for your television market.  They don't have bandwidth for two HD signals, so the primary signal is sent HD, with all the other sub-channels in SD.  They (WBKO) will not allow foriegn signals to be imported in order to protect themselves.

If you are going to go Tivo, look for a used on that has a lifetime subscription.  Else you will need to pay Tivo monthly for Guide service (or buy lifetime for that box), on top of the cost of the Tivo box.