Contributor

Closed Captions on On Demand

I have a Cisco 8742 DVR with closed captions enabled.  When viewing some programming thru On Demand,  CC does not show up but if i view the same program on the Spectrum App thru Apple TV , i get captions.  Captions work normally on other programs thru On Demand as well as regular programming, at least on the ones i have checked.  Yes, i have tried turning captions on & off.

Example................NatGeo.............Life Below Zero Ice Breakers

7 REPLIES 7
Trusted Helper

Re: Closed Captions on On Demand

@Geezer64 wrote:

I have a Cisco 8742 DVR with closed captions enabled.  When viewing some programming thru On Demand,  CC does not show up but if i view the same program on the Spectrum App thru Apple TV , i get captions.  Captions work normally on other programs thru On Demand as well as regular programming, at least on the ones i have checked.  Yes, i have tried turning captions on & off.

Example................NatGeo.............Life Below Zero Ice Breakers

Hello,

On paper statements, I remember that there was, or used to be a contact information for problems with Closed-Captioning .  Here it is, paper statements have a section:

Video Closed Captioning Inquires- Here are some options:

1.) Call 1-855--707-7328 Customer Care.  They will pull up your account information and mention the specific stations where you have having closed-caption problems and/or the specific On-Demand stations with Closed-Captioning problems.

2.) Call the Closed Caption assist line directly: 1-877-276-7432

Satch

Contributor

Thanks Satch.  Makes very little sense though that i get captions on that specific program and channel while using the Spectrum App but not when using the 8742.  Sounds more like a receiver issue to me.  Seems if it were a problem on NatGeo's end, then i wouldn't get them at all.  IDK

Trusted Helper

@Geezer64 wrote:

Thanks Satch.  Makes very little sense though that i get captions on that specific program and channel while using the Spectrum App but not when using the 8742.  Sounds more like a receiver issue to me.  Seems if it were a problem on NatGeo's end, then i wouldn't get them at all.  IDK

Advice,

Don't mention a problem with your box.  The new World Boxes without clocks run the new Spectrum Guide and a lot of times are not as reliable. Spectrum has those closed- captioning support issues on the statements for a reason such as yours.  I would seek out the options that I mentioned above.

Captions on stations a lot of times are hit and miss as it is, sometimes they lag behind spoken dialogue, other times they are really good, sometimes one word on screen, or several words on screen may be jumbled.  Most of this comes from the source of the station.  Some program managers care about CC a lot and others, not so much.  Due to the fact that some stations show CC and others don't.  This is luckily not a box issue, and should be investigated by the personal above.

Can't really compare the receivers to the Apps.  The technology is different.

Satch

Lead Moderator

Closed Caption Information

Showing Content for 13212 ZIP Code Edit

What is Closed Captioning?

Subtitles are displayed on your screen as a transcription of the audio portion of the program.

Note: Most closed captioning (CC) options can be managed through your TV, using the CC button on your TV’s remote or through your TV settings menu.

How do I update my CC options?

Check the settings menu from your TV guide:

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for your replies Satch & Julia.  All settings on TV and 8742 are set correctly or i wouldn.t be getting captions at all.  Captions are a must for my wife and i, especially her.  She is totally deaf in one ear and wears a hearing aid in the other ear which she is 90% deaf in. 

I have sent info to the Escalation Team as per Satch's request.

Contributor

Spoke with a very nice and knowlegable lady today with the Priority Escalation Team in regards to the above mentioned CC issue.  After attempting several things to help diagnose the problem, she was just as stumped as i was.  She also thought it was strange that the programs displayed CC on the App but not on the 8742 box.  Her thinking was just like mine in that it surely pointed to some internal problem with the 8742.

I decided at that point to make a trip down to the local store and see if i could swap for another box.  I asked if it was possible to get a box with more than 2 tuners and to my surprise they had several 9865's. I was able to get one on the spot with no questions asked.

Back to the CC issue, this box gives me captions on programs that the 8742 wouldn't so it does appear that there just might be a problem within the 8742.

Community Manager

@Geezer64 , 

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved !