Observer

Cinemax removed from silver tier

This happened in February.    Just noticed it now.   We now only have HBO and Showtime premium channels.    As time goes by we have less value for our bucks.   Sad.

3 REPLIES 3
Proven Sharer

Re: Cinemax removed from silver tier

The cost of content increases.  Operators have a choice:

1.  Raise prices.

2.  Keep the price the same, but reduce the content.

Spectrum is following the lead of the food industry.

A one-pound coffe can no longer holds one-pound of coffee.  (11.5 or 13 ounces)

A half-gallon container of ice cream no longer holds one-half gallon (1.75 or 1.5 quarts)

Trusted Helper

@13 wrote:

This happened in February.    Just noticed it now.   We now only have HBO and Showtime premium channels.    As time goes by we have less value for our bucks.   Sad.

Hey 13,

This wasn't something that Spectrum wanted to do at all.  The problem is that HBO/Cinemax are owned by AT&T now and they wanted a price hike for those channels.  Spectrum said no, because they wanted to keep the package plans discounted.

Same story with EPIX  Now owned by MGM.  Epix's twist is that they want to be ala-carte only on ALL providers,  But you can call Spectrum and just ask nicely for the following promotions:

If you have Spectrum Silver, you can get Cinemax added back free for a year.  If you have Spectrum Gold, you can get Cimemax and Epix free for a year.  Regular pricing dropped some for those channels!  Cinemax is now only $9.99 after promo.  And Epix is now only $5.99 after promos.  There are RUMORS that Cinemax is going to be $4.99 after 12 months and than $9,99 after that, But some say it will be $9.99.  It used to be like $15, so good there.

Satch

Observer

Thanks Satch.   They did give me Cinemax free for a year.

I don't get why Cinemax with their mediocre offering would ask as much as netflix used to cost.  It doesn't make sense to me.