Proven Sharer

Annual Notices (Lineups, fees, Privacy Notices, etc.)

Advising everyone that my August statement is 16 pages long, and contains the annual disclosures for standard terms and conditions as required by the FCC.  I recommend it be read (if your bill includes it), as it contains a lot of information.

Included is:

1.  2017 Spectrum Customer Privacy Policy - it reads you can always get updated ones at http://www.spectrum.com/privacy

2.  2017 Annual Customer Notificiation - It reads you can get updates at www.twc.com, but also provides a toll free number to call:  (855) 707-7328.  This provides an overview of services, and explicity states that the lowest level of video service you can subscribe to is "Basic Service", which is Starter TV.  Other important things such as billing, payment, disruption, termination, etc. are discussed in this document.  It also specifies how to file complaints.  (Call the number above).  There are additional resources for residents of CT, ME, MI, NY, NC, and VT provided on this notice.

3.  Annual Channel Lineup Notification - This contains a nice two-page listing of all channels on your system.  Since I am legacy TWC, StarterTV ($20.00) and StandardTV ($78.99) channels are indicated with open boxes and closed boxes.   Other tiers are not described in the chart, but are grouped by genre.  The channels included in the Variety Pass ($10.00) , HD Pass ($8.95), TWC Sports Pass ($10.00), TWC Movie Pass ($10.00), Essential TV (which is Starter + some others - $52.49), and Variety Lite  Espanol ($10.00) Tiers are provided.

4.  Retail Price Notification - The non-promo rates for my market.   The Broadcast TV surcharge is now $7.50 in my market.  The sports programmin surcharge is $2.70 (but I do not know which tiers the sports fee is attached to - I'd imagine Standard and up).  As a result, StarterTV is really $27.50 / mo, plus equipment rentals

7 REPLIES 7
Expert

Re: Annual Notices (Lineups, fees, Privacy Notices, etc.)

Sorry but those are Spectrum, not Legacy TWC tiers....

I like the "signal amplification" paragraph.... They will only drive 4 devices, if 5 or more are required, customer will be "sold" an amplifier.

Proven Sharer

@MsRaye wrote:

Sorry but those are Spectrum, not Legacy TWC tiers....

I like the "signal amplification" paragraph.... They will only drive 4 devices, if 5 or more are required, customer will be "sold" an amplifier.

Well, in my bill the tiers listed in my message above are obviosuly legacy TWC tiers.  I am sure if I follow the links they are providing in the notice, you will redirected five times based on your zip code to something else...  and likely Spectrum tiers..

Where did you find the "signal amplification" statement?  Was that something unique to your bill / disclosure statement?  It's not on mine.

Never mind - found it.  It was not searchable text in my bill's PDF file...

Expert

Legacy tiers here are Starter/Standard/Preffered... yet the printed sheet mentions Basic which has been gone for 4 years and was split into starter and standard...lol. Did Spectrum rename TWC's starter tier as basic which is only the local and govt local access channels?

Talk about confusing customers....

Newcomer

I just realized one of my go to channels moved to a different tier.  This is simply unacceptable and very poor customer service.  I want what I signed up for and do not want to come home from a long day at work to be annoyed by a screen directing me to a phone number to order a channel I'm supposed to have.  I have enough to do without calling spectrum every month.  I have had AT&T, Time Warner, Direct TV and a dozen other kinds of tv/internet and they all are customer service challenged, but Spectrum by far has been the worst.  I think I will return to AT&T to negotiate a deal based on my current cell service with them.

Spectrum, if you are reading this, do not call me and ask why I cancelled my service.  It's too late!

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

@MsRaye wrote:

Legacy tiers here are Starter/Standard/Preffered... yet the printed sheet mentions Basic which has been gone for 4 years and was split into starter and standard...lol. Did Spectrum rename TWC's starter tier as basic which is only the local and govt local access channels?

Talk about confusing customers....

Legacy TWC tiers in my market are StarterTV, Essentials, Standard, and Preferred.  I beleive you need to get to Standard before you can add any of the specialty tiers.

Spectrum Tiers in my market are Basic, Mi latino Select, Select, Silver, and Gold, with the specialy tiers being addable after Mi Latino Select and above.

The FCC defines Basic Service as the absolute minimum video package you can buy, and must buy, in order to get any other video service.  It contains, as you wrote, the broadcast channels in your market (if there is a carriage agreement in place), plus Puiblic Access, Government (CSPAN), and Educational Channels, which a random pay TV network thrown in there if you are lucky (like WGNA).

TWC called it "Basic Service" 15 years ago when I first subscribed and was paying $11.50 a month for it, eventually changing its name to "StarterTV".  The public perception of what "Basic Cable" actually is is the real cause for the confusion.  I believe the majority thinks it's all payTV channels excluding premiums.  This isn't the case.  Conan's "Basic Cable Band" doesn't help clarify things.  TBS is typcially not a channel on what the FCC defines as the basic tier...

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/cable-television

"Basic service is the lowest level of cable service a subscriber can buy.  It includes, at a minimum, all over-the-air television broadcast signals carried pursuant to the must-carry requirements of the Communications Act, and any public, educational, or government access channels required by the system's franchise agreement.  It may include additional signals chosen by the operator.  Basic service is generally regulated by the local franchising authority (the local or state entity empowered by Federal, State, or local law to grant a franchise to a cable company to operate in a given area)."

Expert

The FCC info is out of date, all cable system franchises are state regulated , local and federal control has been stripped away, Local was about 5 years ago and FCC lost control last year when some district circuit judge ruled that the state has control and allowes monopolies. FCC appealed that and it's been sitting in limbo. NC, AL TX politicians were paid off by AT&T & TWC who cried that competition would cause them severe financial losses... lol. breaks my heart...

"Must carry" rules are no longer in place either... look back at the CBS& Fox killing their feeds to cable systems over the past 4-5 years.... If there was still such a "law" they would be in violation.

Uverse, Dish, DirecTv, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu never had a Must Carry...

Proven Sharer

@MsRaye wrote:

"Must carry" rules are no longer in place either... look back at the CBS& Fox killing their feeds to cable systems over the past 4-5 years.... If there was still such a "law" they would be in violation.

Uverse, Dish, DirecTv, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu never had a Must Carry...

I thought a broadcast station has the option of elected "Must Carry" or negotiating retransmission consent fees.  If a station votes for "Must Carry", it cannot collect a per-subscriber fee.  If the station and the cable company negotiate a retransmission fee, then the TV station can get paid a per-subscriber fee.  A cable company cannot re-transmit signals without the station electing "Must Carry" or negotiating a retransmission agreement.

Previously (mid 80's?) the cable company could carry or not carry local stations.  They typically carried the major stations, but no system in the NYC Area carried any of the local UHF channels (21, 25, 31, 41, 47, 55, 68) at all.  The system on Long Island carried WTAF from Philly, WSBK from Boston, and WVIA from Scranton before carrying any local UHF stations...  (I do miss the TV38 Movie Loft...)

A low-rated station that wants an audience can elect "Must Carry" to get exposure.  A highly rated station is going to go after every nickel and dime it can get and will want a retransmission consent fee...