Highlighted
Newcomer

Ad for Fox & Friends on HGTV? UGH.

Tonight I was watching HGTV, which has become my channel of sanity since the last election. However, it came to a commercial break and I was bombarded with an ad for Fox & Friends. I specifically watch HGTV to get away from angry political junk on TV. I don’t want to see this on HGTV, as I find it hateful and divisive. I watch HGTV to get away from that kind of thing, and watching Fixer Upper and Love It or List It has been my oasis of calm for the past 14 months. I thought today that my dog had stepped on the remote control and accidentally switched it to Fox News... my blood pressure and anxiety skyrocketed as I scrambled to figure out what had gone wrong .

That ad was then followed by several ads from outside my viewing area, which is been a complaint of mine for over year with Time Warner and now Spectrum. I live in Austin. I don’t want to watch ads from Kerrville, Texas, a small town 100 miles outside of our viewing area. We watch stupid ads about some steakhouse and small town car dealerships and furniture stores that are a waste of our time.

How do I give feedback that these ads are awful?
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Re: Ad for Fox & Friends on HGTV? UGH.

@Austinitewrote:
Tonight I was watching HGTV, which has become my channel of sanity since the last election. However, it came to a commercial break and I was bombarded with an ad for Fox & Friends. I specifically watch HGTV to get away from angry political junk on TV. I don’t want to see this on HGTV, as I find it hateful and divisive. I watch HGTV to get away from that kind of thing, and watching Fixer Upper and Love It or List It has been my oasis of calm for the past 14 months. I thought today that my dog had stepped on the remote control and accidentally switched it to Fox News... my blood pressure and anxiety skyrocketed as I scrambled to figure out what had gone wrong .

That ad was then followed by several ads from outside my viewing area, which is been a complaint of mine for over year with Time Warner and now Spectrum. I live in Austin. I don’t want to watch ads from Kerrville, Texas, a small town 100 miles outside of our viewing area. We watch stupid ads about some steakhouse and small town car dealerships and furniture stores that are a waste of our time.

How do I give feedback that these ads are awful?

Hello,

Best advice is to contact the station HGTV to complain about the advertisements and commercial content.  Spectrum can only assist with their sponsored content, for example, only commercials about Spectrum.  You need to go to HGTV's website or Twitter Page and send a message to them about the content. 

Spectrum can only assist with TV, Phone, and Internet signals and equipment.  They have no control over content that isn't theirs.  Communicate with the station through the above social media platforms.

You can also set up parental controls to block any channels that you don't want to see on your TV, online, or mobile device.  Parental Controls are not just for kids protection, but for anyone who doesn't want to see certain types of content on their guides that they may find objectionable.  All of the Spectrum Guides from the cable boxes to online services have parental controls where you can set up pin numbers to block by channel or type of content.  You can set up a pin number to block this content from viewing.  In all cases, you must turn on Parental Controls to activate your blocking pin.  Consult your program guide for the type of box content or online content that you wish to block.  You can always contact us with any questions.

Satch

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

If the F&F Friends ad is a national ad sold by the network, then you'll need to take your complaint up with Scripps, the company that own HGTV.

For the not-so-local insertion ads for the mom and pop steakhouses and car dealerships, these could be local ad buys that Spectrum has permission to sell during a commercial break.   If it were my job to sell ads, if I can get me rate, I sell.  Maybe these steakhouses and car dealers are paying the price to play.

Are you watching these ads over a linear feed (the cable box), or via IPTV (the app)?

Highlighted
Lead Moderator

It sounds like you just want to block the commercials. That unfortunately is not an option.

I would suggest contacting the network with your feedback on the types of commercials

you are seeing during the broadcast of the shows you watch.

Our parental controls cover several things but will not block commercials. 

Title Block : If you've set up Title Block in Parental Controls, affected programs will display as Title Blocked in the on-screen program Guide.

Content Block: The content category to be blocked will display in the list with a Locked icon.

Rating Block : Blocks shows specifically by the rating of the program

Channel block : Selecting a blocked channel will display a screen informing viewers that the content has been blocked.

Time Block:  Blocks simply by time. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums