Highlighted
Contributor

4K... still waiting....

Is there any plan at all to start making 4K programming available to subscribers?

I realize there is very limited content at this point but there are big events such as the PGA Championship and a small selection of MLB games that are being made available in 4K with other companies carrying this (Directv, Verizon, Optimum/Atlice).

This isn't the 3D fiasco  where we all need special glasses. At this rate, ATSC 3.0 will be available and providing higher quality programming than my cable!

8 REPLIES 8
Lead Moderator

Re: 4K... still waiting....

Good morning!

We do not have any information at this time if we have plans to provide 4K programming. 

Should this happen we will have announcements to let everyone know.

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Service

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

iv'e been hearing that 4K is gonna be gone a thing of the past and 8k will take over. and 8K will take care of all the bugs that are wrong with 4K,,, and you don't have any idea do you on how many channels you would loose just to watch one 4k channel. i don't think i would want to watch 4k or 8k on any cable system since they compress the crap outta it unlike satellite...

Contributor

Interesting take on this... did you hear what exactly was wrong with 4K to delay its rollout in favor of 8K?

IMO there's always something bigger, better, faster down the road but that's no reason to bypass what's technically possible today (other MSO are providing customers with 4K now).

Proven Sharer

The "Other MSO" companies you refer to are running over newly installed fiber, not legacy (20 to 40 year-old) coaxial cable systems and equipment.  8K and Gigabit ethernet both require huge amounts of bandwidth compared to Spectrum's content offerings. 

Contributor

Karl, great response except that brings up some important questions:

1. Why have they not invested in upgrading their infrastructure?

2. Isn't a good chunk of their footprint HFC and not simple coax?

3. If they can provide 200 - 300 Mbps Internet, they could likely find a way to use the Watch Spectrum site/app (Apple TV 4K anyone?) to "broadcast" special event 4K streams.

4. Can we finally get rid of the duplicate SD/HD channels that waste bandwidth? I'm sure there are more than enough SD duplicates that can open up enough bandwidth for a single 4K Special Events channel.

5. They had 2 channels that supposedly broadcast 3D for special events. How much bandwidth was required for a single 3D broadcast compared to a 4K?

We still have old DVRs with dual tuners instead of cloud/network DVRs with greater storage and tuner counts. Something tells me it's going to be a long time before customers see a Spectrum technology shift to catch up with the other MSOs.

Lead Moderator

Good morning.

We do actually offer Cloud DVR.

You can read about that here:  https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/cdvr-faq/

Regards,

Julia R.

Contributor

My apologies... 50 shows for 90 days is somewhat limiting but at least it's available. Hard to find on your site if you're looking for the info as it only appears to be in the Support section. Can Cloud recordings be streamed to a device in/out of the Spectrum household to a device with the Spectrum TV app or is it limited to a box?

Even so... the main purpose of the discussion was about the lack of 4K.

Lead Moderator

Good morning.

I am sorry, at this time we do not have any information on if or when 4K programming

will be made available through the Spectrum Receiver or through Streaming. 

Regards,

Julia R.