8 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: Subscription required messages on channels my family are subscribed to

I have got a new cablecard and I am now able to view every single channel that my family is subscribed to including switched digital video channels.

Helper

@Satch My comment was directed at your statement that cable boxes are required. It's true that for most people that just want a "plug it in and it works" solution a box is ideal. It's also true that for PPV content a box would be required.  I receive all channels in my package (excluding On Demand and PPV) using a CableCARD and TA for the SDV channels. I think the Spectrum Stream package doesn't require a box or CableCARD solution at all, although I'm sure it's limited on channel offerings.

Seasoned Contributor

Granted two things:

1 - People who are not technologically proficient should and generally do not consider any form of cablecard solution.

2 - First line telephone, in-store representatives, installers and phyical service personel  are poorly or mistakenly informed about cablecard hardware and their useage. Once you can get to a cablecard telephone rep, they are quite capable of accessing and addressing the communications between their system and the provisioning of the cablecard and associated TA.

For those of us who are are capable of managing their own hardware, cablecard systems can and do bring a whole host of capabilities to integrated solutions that are not available through any rented hardware.  It is not difficult to amoratize the hardware costs versus set-top rental over a fairly short period of time.

Trusted Helper

@twcsa4jim wrote:

Reds91185 is correct about the Tuning Adapter (TA). I believe that a TA is now necessary through most, but not all markets.  But, you wrote that you got a "new" cablecard. If what you got is a replacemnent card and had a previously working setup, you will need to call the number Reds91185 gave you to ensure that the cablecard  and TA are properly provisioned for your account.

Note that although the listed number is supposed to be dedicated to cablecard support, it really is not and you will need to get routed to actually talk with a cablecard representative. They are mostly familiar with Tivo devices, so for whatever you may need to do with your Silicon Dust and whatever application you are using, they may not be much help.

But,

Are Spectrum reps knowledgeable enough to assist with cable cards and tuning adapters? My experience is that Tuning Adapters and cable cards can be  unreliable, and every time there is a guide or hardware update from any cable provider, you have to rescan your TV.  It would seemingly be harder to give correct advice for third-party equipment that is not theirs.

This was why I recommended a box rental and the Spectrum Select Package for this customer.  I know that you can't get Video on Demand without a Spectrum box among potential other channels as well.  I also need to say that I have never used a cable card or tuning adapter.  But I have heard of problems with them over the years.  If a piece of equipment breaks that isn't Spectrum's and your not tech savvy, this can be a problem for some, but not for others who have tech experience.  This can help the customer decide what he/she needs.

Satch

Seasoned Contributor

Reds91185 is correct about the Tuning Adapter (TA). I believe that a TA is now necessary through most, but not all markets.  But, you wrote that you got a "new" cablecard. If what you got is a replacemnent card and had a previously working setup, you will need to call the number Reds91185 gave you to ensure that the cablecard  and TA are properly provisioned for your account.

Note that although the listed number is supposed to be dedicated to cablecard support, it really is not and you will need to get routed to actually talk with a cablecard representative. They are mostly familiar with Tivo devices, so for whatever you may need to do with your Silicon Dust and whatever application you are using, they may not be much help.

Helper

This info is completely inaccurate. CableCARD devices such as Silicon Dust and TiVo are fully supported. What @mr1702531 may need, which wasn't mentioned in the original post, is a tuning adapter. It's also possible the Home Run device just isn't configured correctly. 

I would highly suggest a call to the CableCARD group at:

866-532-2598

Trusted Helper

@mr1702531 wrote:

Since I got a new cablecard for my homerun prime device I have been reciving subscription required messages on most of the channels that my family is subscribed to. Is it because the new cable card is not fully compatible with the homerun device? The only channels I am able to get are the local channels, CSPAN, and Discovery channel.

Hi Mr.

The reason for this is because with the move to all-digital technology and the integration more and more of cable tv, high speed Internet, and phone services, Spectrum is requiring a cable box rental and a package plan to be able to get most of the channels.  Your cable card device is going to need to be replaced with a rented box from Spectrum and a Spectrum Package in order to get any channels outside of the locals,  All markets are moving in this direction, and ALL TV vendors.  It's only a matter of time.

I would recommend that in order to keep your cable TV costs within reasonable limits and to give you a gradually transition, to call Spectrum and ask to be updated to the Spectrum Select Package,  You will get about 125+ channels.  Since this will be your first experience with a cable box, and the added channels see if they will give you a 12-month discount on the Spectrum Select Plan.

If you have other Spectrum Services, such as Internet and Phone, there are Double Play and Triple Play plans that you might want to examine to add to your Spectrum Select TV plan at discounted rates when bundled together.  Triple Play, is Cable TV, Internet, and Landline Phone service from Spectrum.  Double-Play is any two of those three services at a discounted rate.  Of course, if you are interested only in cable TV, the Spectrum Select Plan may be of benifit to your situation.  I would call Spectrum and ask about upgrading services,  No matter what though, you will need to rent a Spectrum cable box.

Here is the link to Spectrum's web page with offers on package plans  Note that prices are for new customers only.  But you should be able to get some kind of deal:

https://www.spectrum.com/packages.html

Satch

Proven Sharer

What level of service are you paying for?  (Name of package, price).

Did your HomeRun Device record analog SD feeds previously?

Newcomer

Subscription required messages on channels my family are subscribed to

Since I got a new cablecard for my homerun prime device I have been reciving subscription required messages on most of the channels that my family is subscribed to. Is it because the new cable card is not fully compatible with the homerun device? The only channels I am able to get are the local channels, CSPAN, and Discovery channel.