Highlighted
Valued Participant

WKYC - Channel 3 - NE Ohio, Cleveland, Ohio Issues

For the last few days, WKYC (Channel 3) Spectrum TV app has been acting up. Video freezes, is choppy, pauses on its own, and or jittery. This is happening on all 3 of our Apple TV 4K devices. It is ONLY this channel.

Back in June 2019, we had a new line installed from the pole to the house, and the house line was replaced (One line only to modem, no cable boxes, we are stream only). I am using my own Netgear NightHawk router. 

All 3 Apple TV's are hard wired (Ethernet) to the router. The router is 5 feet from the modem. I have 400mbps down / 20 plan from Spectrum.

This PC is hardwired (Ethernet) to router:

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.44.15 PM.png

As you can see, speed is not an issue. I'm not sure what the issue is. I have rebooted the modem and router, which had no affect. Below are the modem's STNR info:

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.34.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.34.20 PM.png

If someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Browser

Re: WKYC - Channel 3 - NE Ohio, Cleveland, Ohio Issues

@TheTekHeads wrote:

For the last few days, WKYC (Channel 3) Spectrum TV app has been acting up. Video freezes, is choppy, pauses on its own, and or jittery. This is happening on all 3 of our Apple TV 4K devices. It is ONLY this channel.

Back in June 2019, we had a new line installed from the pole to the house, and the house line was replaced (One line only to modem, no cable boxes, we are stream only). I am using my own Netgear NightHawk router. 

All 3 Apple TV's are hard wired (Ethernet) to the router. The router is 5 feet from the modem. I have 400mbps down / 20 plan from Spectrum.

This PC is hardwired (Ethernet) to router:

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.44.15 PM.png

As you can see, speed is not an issue. I'm not sure what the issue is. I have rebooted the modem and router, which had no affect. Below are the modem's STNR info:

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.34.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.34.20 PM.png

If someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Your signal levels look great. Since your apple TV's are hardwired to ethernet and in addition the fact it only happens on one channel puts the problem on Spectrum's end. You should get a response from a forum moderator tomorrow hopefully they can put in a ticket to get this issue resolved for you. 

Proven Sharer

As a cable+internet subscriber in the Cleveland Suburban service area, I can confirm to the moderators that the issue described is ONLY with the streaming video connecion, not with general digital cable.  The station has very recently (last two weeks) made several technical adjustments because WKYC, formerly owned by TEGNA, was sold to new owners.[EDIT 09/30: The previous statement is incorrect.  TEGNA still owns WKYC and is currently engaged in new local carriage contract negotiations with Spectrum.]  I do not believe the operators have upgraded to 4K video on their streaming server connection to Spectrum; other forum readers in the know are asked to pass along further info about WKYC and 4K streaming.

However, in the past similar video breakup issues have been reported in other parts of the country by Netgear Nighthawk owners, some using Apple Ultra or 4k displays.  The suggested resolution below comes directly from the Nighthawk R7000 user manual starting on page 50: 

Optimize Video Streaming with Downstream QoS
Downstream QoS prioritizes Internet traffic from the Internet to your network. This delivers better performance when you stream Internet video, such as when you watch YouTube videos.

NETGEAR recommends that you enable downstream QoS only if you watch streaming Internet video. When downstream QoS assigns a high priority to streaming video, it also assigns lower priority to the rest of your Internet traffic. That means other tasks like downloading content from the Internet take longer.
To enable downstream QoS:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network.

2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window displays.
3. Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup.
The WMM page displays.
5. Select the Downstream QoS tab.
The Downstream QoS page displays
6. Select the Enable Downstream QoS (Improved Video Streaming) check box.
7. (Optional) Select the Streaming Database Auto Upgrade check box.
The router automatically checks for updates for the streaming database, and downloads and installs them.
8. Click the Apply button.
The router assigns a high priority to video streaming from the Internet traffic.

Valued Participant

Not sure what is going on with Netgear and their KB's but there is no 'Downstream QoS tab' on my router's UI page. However, QOS is enabled, and I set all 3 Apple TV's to the highest priority. It is at least watchable for now, but still glitches out here and there, not as bad as it was.

Newcomer

Not just you. WKYC has been freezing on my bedroom TV hooked up to my Roku TV. And I'm on wifi. The TV hooked up to the DVR is fine, however.