Observer

Spectrum app freezes on Apple TV after 1st use

My spectrum TV app works first time but after I go to any other app (or the Apple TV wakes from sleep)  then return to Spectrum TV app, the last channel viewed appears but controls don't work. The menu button does not bring up the guide and does nothing. I can only recover by double clicking the home button and forcing the Spectrum app to quit. Then I can restart the app and it works fine until, as mentioned, I choose another app and return or the Apple TV wakes from sleep. Then it's the same problem all over again. I've signed out and back in, also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to no avail. Everything is updated to the latest versions and all other apps work fine. Help!

- Spectrum TV app v 1.25

- Apple TV with tvOS v13.2, model A1842, 32 GB

9 REPLIES 9
Lead Moderator

Re: Spectrum app freezes on Apple TV after 1st use

Hello! 

I am sorry to hear this is happening.

I encourage you to reach out to us for direct support with this.

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Observer

I don't do facebook. Is there a direct tech support site or email where issues can be posted and support actually reads and responds to the issues? I haven't found such. Thanks.

Lead Moderator

You can certainly do a chat with an agent via computer, we do not have email support.

If you prefer you can also call in. 

1-855-70-SPECTRUM (855-707-7328)

https://www.spectrum.net/   Login and lower right side there is a link to Ask Spectrum. You can enter your inquiry there, if the automated system is not able to help with the question it will pop up an option to open a chat. 

Julia 

Observer

Chat person replied "Of no!" then said call the number. I have tested this on 3 Apple TVs, have reinstalled the app and even reinstalled/reset the Apple TV. Spectrum TV app still freezes once you leave it and then return to it. As far as calling Spectrum, I'll have to take time off as that takes so long usually with no satisfaction. My report should simple be passed on to the Spectrum TV app developers. I'm sure they can reproduce it withing minutes.

Lead Moderator

We have tested our Apple TV. I have tested mine at home and do not experience 

the symptom you describe.

Are all of your Apple TVs the 4K or 4th Generation version? I am seeing the app version should be 7.14 

If this is the case, and your app and the OS on the devices is up to date we would need to have you contact us directly for further support. 

Observer

Attached is a screen shot of TV showing Spectrum TV App about. Version is 1.25 and is the latest in the Apple app store. All my Apple TVs are 4K. I did find a workaround just now. When I return to the Spectrum app and it locks up, i.e. nothing happens when I press the remote menu button, and I press and click the touch pad on the remote, then press the menu button, it works and the guide comes up. So it's an extra remote action but it now makes the app workable. That's good enough but I am puzzled why I am having the problem and you're not. Thanks for sticking with this!

IMG_0530.jpg

Observer

I spoke to soon. It worked once but 99% of the time I have to restart the Spectrum app to get it to respond again. I will call on the phone soon and see if that helps. I do wonder why your version of the app is completely different than what shows in my Spectrum app About menu as in the attached image. 

Lead Moderator

For the version number I checked the app store version history.  You are absoloutely correct though. Further digging I see 1.25 is the current, it was Last Updated 11/21/19.

Observer

The Spectrum app was automatically updated to v1.26 on Dec 2. That fixed my issue as I can now move among apps and return to the Spectrum app and the remote works and no lockup issues. So apparently a bug was fixed.