Highlighted
Observer

Apple TV4K error ALC-1000???

Ive tried and tried to login to the Spectrum app on my apple tv, i have it set int he setting that spectrum is my tv provider and then when i download the spectrum and try and sign in it gives me that error.... ive tried reinstalling the app multiples times and same results, and becuase of this issue it wont allow me to use the Discovery GO app either since techincally im not signed into my tv provider and those apps auto activate based on who your tv provider is on your apple tv... idk what else to do, please help

10 REPLIES 10
Helper

Re: Apple TV4K error ALC-1000???

A few questions...

Do you have Spectrum internet?

Is the Apple TV connected to your home network?

Have you tried changing your Spectrum password? Sometimes that resets your account permissions.

Did the Apple TV connect without issue previously?

Observer

Do you have Spectrum internet? yes I do

Is the Apple TV connected to your home network?        No im trying to do this at my lake house where i have a different internet provider but i have spectrum TV&Interent at my primary home and thats the credentials im using to try and log in, the spectrum tech on the phone said as long as i use my login info and have a TV& Internet subscription it should work fine 

Have you tried changing your Spectrum password? Sometimes that resets your account permissions.       i have not and id REALLY like to not have to if at all possible lol 

Did the Apple TV connect without issue previously? this is the first time ive set it up.... the other apps that dont use the automactic sign in on the apple tv that require me to enter in activation code and then use my tv provider login credentails link flawlessly... its just for some reason i cant not get the spectum app to login and thus results in not allowing the auto login to work either so its killing me on a handful of apps... i mean i can try and bring the apple tv back home and try and login to the spectrum app when its at my home network but i dont think this is the issue at hand annnnnnd if it IS the issue then what happens if it does work and lets me login and i take it back to my lake house? will it not work then? becuase the only reason i bought this apple tv was to be able to watch TV at my lake house through the spectrum app....

Helper

@Lincolnmjr wrote:

Is the Apple TV connected to your home network?        No im trying to do this at my lake house where i have a different internet provider but i have spectrum TV&Interent at my primary home and thats the credentials im using to try and log in, the spectrum tech on the phone said as long as i use my login info and have a TV& Internet subscription it should work fine 

I hate to break this to you but this is the problem. The Apple TV (along with Roku, Samsung smart tvs, Xbox) are replacement set top boxes that will only connect to the app when connected to your home network.  Mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) will be able to connect to the app with limited options while away from your home network.

Observer

so even if i take it home and activate it and say it does work, the moment i take it to my lake house and try to use the app itll give me the ALC-1000 error again?

Helper

@Lincolnmjr wrote:

so even if i take it home and activate it and say it does work, the moment i take it to my lake house and try to use the app itll give me the ALC-1000 error again?

That's correct.

Observer

WOW. welp im pretty pissed then because i BOUGHT this stupid thing strictly FOR my lake house to be able to watch tv with my spectrum app since spectrum isnt in the area and the tech SAID it would work i would just have to login. kinda dumb i think that this only work sat home.... i have cable boxes for my tv already idk why id need this thing if it only works at the place i ALREADY have tv.... sorry for the rant i appreicate the help  A LOT i just feel cheated out of $180 bucks now for a papr weight.

Helper

I feel for you. Many people now expect it to work because so many of the new OTT streaming services work that way (think Netflix, Prime, Directv Now, Vue, Hulu, etc.). The cable companies will have to rethink how they do things in the future if they expect to keep the cord-cutters or recruit any of the cord-nevers.

Are you able to return the Apple TV?

Observer

right? cuz i DO pay for thier TV&Internet so its not like im getting one over on them or anything, they are still getting thier money from me i just want to be able to use the app THEY advertise for free outside of my home network, cuz like i already have to pay for a second ISP at my lake house since i figured this app would allow me to have tv down there and not have to pay for a second TV provider... im online with a spectrum tech again and she says IT SHOULD work if i actuvate it on my home netowrk and take it to my lake house so i guess thats what ill try... im out of options anyway... and no prolly not, ive had this for about a month id say ive just been busy and finally got down to my lake house and im tryign to set it up now but i guess i should have tried to set it up at my house first

Helper

I know the chat rep (not a tech but a customer service rep) is telling you that it should work but I'm 99.9% sure it will not. I certainly hope I'm wrong though. Keep us posted.