Browser

Spectrum provided McAfee says it is expiring

I am getting popups that my Spectrum provided copy of McAfee Antivirus is about to expire and when I click the button, it takes me to McAfee's web site to purchase a renewal.  Do I need to remove the current version on my computers and then go back to Spectrum's web site and re-download the program to renew it?

2 REPLIES 2
Trusted Helper

Re: Spectrum provided McAfee says it is expiring

@kfox7 wrote:

I am getting popups that my Spectrum provided copy of McAfee Antivirus is about to expire and when I click the button, it takes me to McAfee's web site to purchase a renewal.  Do I need to remove the current version on my computers and then go back to Spectrum's web site and re-download the program to renew it?

Sup KFox?

Mcafee is really bloated and offers only average protection.  Assuming that you have Windows 10, or even Windows 8.1, (Windows 7 reaches extended end of support in January 2020,) I would uninstall EVERYTHING McAfee completely, and use Windows Defender.  It is really good now! (Especially on Windows 10) and you will be amazed at the speed of your computer, once you get McAfee off of the system.

Go to Control Panel and "All Programs" to remove all of McAfee, and uninstall anything related to it. Be sure to reboot when this is done!

Next, since Windows Defender is built-in, following the reboot of your computer, type Windows Defender in the search box and follow the prompts to turn it on and whatever else it wants to do.  That's it! No licence keys, no license fees.  Windows Defender is light and will run in the background and update automatically.  There are enhanced options in Windows 10 through the Windows 10 Security Center.

Some years ago, Windows Defender was adequate, but didn't provide the protection that it does now.  I have also heard great things about Bit Defender Free.  Make sure that you have only 1 AV on your system running in real time, as more than one AV will conflict and cause issues.  Here is Bitdefender Free's website if you are interested in that over Windows Defender:

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

(Click on the Free Ativirus in the Toolbox Section of the Bit Defender Site.) Within about 30 seconds or so, you should get the download page.

McAfee's AV protection is only average at best and drains resources too much.  I used to like Avast, but they also have become too bloated.  AVG also too bloated, and once you get AVG on your system, it can be a nightmare to remove.  I would go with Windows Defender as first choice, or Bit Defender Free as a second choice.

Satch

Highlighted
Sharer

Re: Spectrum provided McAfee says it is expiring

Will have to second @Satch on McAfee, Avast and AVG. Dealt with them all over the years... moved away from Norton/Symantec a long time ago as well (they really should just stick to Enterprise security IMO).

Stuck with Avast for the longest time because of features I liked...but the footprint and how bad you can feel things bog when it is crunching in the background... just not worth it, especially If you are exercising best practices in the first place--don't need something so heavy handed.