Highlighted
Not applicable

*Possible Phishing Alert* - "Upcoming Web Updates"

Received an email from > 

Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:56 AM
To: Undisclosed-Recipients:
Subject: Upcoming Webmail Updates

Email asked me to confirm my identity.

I suspect the worse...I went through 3 pages of identifying myself, when I got to the fourth page, I became suspicious because it asked for debit card info.  I left and did not continue.  I reported it to agent at Spectrum, she asked me to move it to Spam.  That's it...but I am concerned because if the first 3 pages were transmitted, because it asked at the bottom to continue by pressing "Continue" button then I am screwed.  There was a lot of information, mother's maiden name, etc, etc...   Suspicious Email Body.jpgSuspicious Email Body

3 REPLIES 3
Helper

Re: Upcoming Web Updates

The "from" email address and the grammatical errors are clear red flags.  Put a freeze or some other method of credit monitoring in place immediately with the three credit bureaus.  Change all of your passwords and security questions. Set up two factor authentication on all accounts that support it.

Community Manager

Re: *Possible Phishing Alert* - "Upcoming Web Updates"

@elgregcor003 ,  

Thanks for reporting this issue.  I updated the title to include Possible Phishing Alert to identify the post as alerting potential phishing activity.   I also alerted our IT Security and Fraud teams and included the screen shot you provided.  If you should see any unusual activity, please let us know.  

In addition to the suggestions from @reds91185 , I added a link to our support website and the toll free contact numbers for the credit reporting services.  

From our support website:   Email Security: Spam, Phishing and Hoaxes
What should I do if I responded to a phishing email?
Responding to a phishing email may or may not lead to identity theft. As a safety precaution, contact the following three credit reporting bureaus and place a fraud alert on your credit report. Initial fraud alerts last for 90 days.  

Each credit reporting agency has established a nationwide toll-free number for reporting potential fraud:

• Equifax: (800) 525-6285
  • Experian: (888) 397-3742
  • TransUnion: (800) 680-7289

Contributor

Re: *Possible Phishing Alert* - "Upcoming Web Updates"

I've received a couple of posts from "on-time16@cfl.rr.com" telling me "..major upgrade to our computer system, ..webmail service needs to be verified, ..visit My Account...."

I'm nowhere near cfl.  I've forwarded these to abuse a couple times, but lately I just send them to the garbage bin.