Highlighted
Newcomer

Malicious Intent, Hacker, or...... Law Enforcement (Acting Unethically)

Why Doesn't Spectrum Take Internet Security Seriously? See One of Many Security Advisories

VirusTotal

What is happening past our gateway?I have been reporting activity about STREAMS of data coming and going from this IP 23.64.45.149 for quite some time. I had my routers and internal network equipment factory reset or configuration changes more than once. I've also had old configurations from previous addresses or modem/router instances re-appear.

Each time I've gottent frustrated enough to call I've been hung up on. I do this for a living and spend more time on my network that ANYWHERE else. I know whats supposed to be on my network and why. When I see something that I cant explain and nobody else will, that is when I consider something a threat. Is it always, no. I'm batting about .350. bump me to .500 if you count annamoilies I found early and was "un-intentionally" misinformed about what the process did and who made it. Only to find out later that the provider had been infiltrated and did not know. It is UNACCEPTABLE for the mass public to discover a new threat before MY PAID FOR PROVIDER. What do YOU SPECTRUM have in-place to protect your customers between gateways?

I have had HORRIBLE re-occuring ISP issues. It took quite a bit of frustration and downtime AND MONEY to get as stable as I am now (Still Not Ideal). I saw a MASSIVE improvement purchasing my own modem and router. Between this and my data captures, we know without a doubt that the source (Authorized or UnAuthorized) has legitamite access to the ISP equipment (routers, modems, demarc, home security, endpoint devices, etc.) possibly a contracor or employee. That or there is a physical security issue at the cirtcuit/demarcation point of my building (Shared).

Need answers to the below questions:

1. Is this some type of law enforcement?

2. If not, what is it?

3. And finally, When IS THIS GOING TO BE ADDRESSED?

See how did that ISP?

I suggest you provide an answer to the documented public inquiry. Failing to do so is an answer in itself. Sure would be bad if something like this were to fall through the cracks. It wont, I dummy cord all my gear! I will never accept "No response" as an acceptable answer for a service I pay for. None of your customer should be expected to.

3 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Malicious Intent, Hacker, or...... Law Enforcement (Acting Unethically)

@WayneRichie805wrote:

Why Doesn't Spectrum Take Internet Security Seriously? See One of Many Security Advisories

VirusTotal

What is happening past our gateway?I have been reporting activity about STREAMS of data coming and going from this IP 23.64.45.149 for quite some time. I had my routers and internal network equipment factory reset or configuration changes more than once. I've also had old configurations from previous addresses or modem/router instances re-appear.

Each time I've gottent frustrated enough to call I've been hung up on. I do this for a living and spend more time on my network that ANYWHERE else. I know whats supposed to be on my network and why. When I see something that I cant explain and nobody else will, that is when I consider something a threat. Is it always, no. I'm batting about .350. bump me to .500 if you count annamoilies I found early and was "un-intentionally" misinformed about what the process did and who made it. Only to find out later that the provider had been infiltrated and did not know. It is UNACCEPTABLE for the mass public to discover a new threat before MY PAID FOR PROVIDER. What do YOU SPECTRUM have in-place to protect your customers between gateways?

I have had HORRIBLE re-occuring ISP issues. It took quite a bit of frustration and downtime AND MONEY to get as stable as I am now (Still Not Ideal). I saw a MASSIVE improvement purchasing my own modem and router. Between this and my data captures, we know without a doubt that the source (Authorized or UnAuthorized) has legitamite access to the ISP equipment (routers, modems, demarc, home security, endpoint devices, etc.) possibly a contracor or employee. That or there is a physical security issue at the cirtcuit/demarcation point of my building (Shared).

Need answers to the below questions:

1. Is this some type of law enforcement?

2. If not, what is it?

3. And finally, When IS THIS GOING TO BE ADDRESSED?

See how did that ISP?

I suggest you provide an answer to the documented public inquiry. Failing to do so is an answer in itself. Sure would be bad if something like this were to fall through the cracks. It wont, I dummy cord all my gear! I will never accept "No response" as an acceptable answer for a service I pay for. None of your customer should be expected to.

This is a user peer-to-peer forum staffed by customers like yourself.  We don't work for Spectrum or make decisions on how they run their business and spend their investors' money.  

As a network subscriber, when you connect your personally owned modem device to Spectrum's network, you granted Spectrum the right to be able to communicate with and control it at any time, in order to ensure that you are not interfering with other cable customers.  That is NOT the same as intercepting or altering the content of data information packets.  If you have presented specific examples of network traffic that is being sent by other subscribers, addressed to your modem device, and causing harm  to your equipment or that of other subscribers, Spectrum does take it seriously. 

Helper

Just to add...if you're calling Spectrum and speaking with customer service reps about this you will get nowhere. They are not IT professionals.

Community Manager

@WayneRichie805

I've included a link to the website for Reporting Abuse, you can also send an email to security@rr.com to report any suspicious activity.  

They can also be reached by phone 

• Phone: 855-222-7342

Please include name, email address and contact information so we may assist you better. Response time is approximately two business days.