Rookie

Using tv to watch spectrum app not allowed whe not at home

My wife and I are staying in our motorhome at a campground while she recovers from knee replacement surgery.  We were getting tired of the limited channels available on antenna so I opened the spectrum app on my iPad and using the WiFi provided at the campground signed into my account and verified I could get the channels available at home.  Then so we could both enjoy it, I connected a HDMI adapter to my iPad to feed it to the tv.  Instead of the video on the tv it displayed a message that I had to be on my home WiFi.  Now what good is that?  If I’m at home I can just turn on the tv.  So here I am paying for something that I can’t use.  How would Spectrum react if I asked to suspend service at home while I’m away?

2 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Using tv to watch spectrum app not allowed whe not at home

Full functionality requires you to be connected to your home network where you have Spectrum internet service.

Proven Sharer

Re: Using tv to watch spectrum app not allowed whe not at home

@bobrowinsky wrote:

My wife and I are staying in our motorhome at a campground while she recovers from knee replacement surgery.  We were getting tired of the limited channels available on antenna so I opened the spectrum app on my iPad and using the WiFi provided at the campground signed into my account and verified I could get the channels available at home.  Then so we could both enjoy it, I connected a HDMI adapter to my iPad to feed it to the tv.  Instead of the video on the tv it displayed a message that I had to be on my home WiFi.  Now what good is that?  If I’m at home I can just turn on the tv.  So here I am paying for something that I can’t use.  How would Spectrum react if I asked to suspend service at home while I’m away?

As posted above, you must be attached to a modem / gateway that is:

1.  Tied to your Spectrum video service

2.  Tied to your Spectrum Internet service

In the end, you must be at home to watch the full lineup.  I can only watch FX, CSPAN, and some Home Shopping Channels when I am not on my LAN.  "TV Anywhere" is really "TV anywhere in your home."

Content owners do not want people to share user IDs and passwords with friends and family - that would cut down on the total number of paid subscriptions.

To that end, you do have some options:

1.  Use the Native Network Apps for watching content on PayTV Networks that you subscribe to, such as FX Now, AMC, HBO GO, NBCSports, etc.

2.  Subscribe to an Over-the-Top video service, such as SlingTV, YouTubeTV, or DirecTV Now.  Subscriptions to these services are not address-specific.  You may need additional hardware (like a Roku) to use these streaming services.  (The Roku does Netflex and Amazon Prime video, too.).  To make this cost-effective, you may wish to consider putting a hold on your Spectrum Video subscription.  (Must be at least one month in duration, and I beleive it costs $5 per month instead of whatever you are currently paying - you'll need to contact your local office for the details on this service.)